Solved

Amsterdam to Barcelona reservation

• Right on track
  • 3 replies

Dear community, 

I have a Global 4 day pass and will be travelling from Amsterdam to Barcelona on July 16th or 17th. I am trying to reserve seats, but there seem to be problems in doing so. The booking tool mentions that prices are unavailable; however, it says this same thing for months ahead, so that is why I wonder if there are no trains available, or whether there is something else preventing me from reserving seats. I want to book as soon as possible, to ensure I can still reserve the seat :) 

Any help is highly appreciated! 

Best regards, 

Kaya

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 May 2022, 01:09

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please post for each train you'd like to book: origin, destination, date, departure time.

Thanks for your reply! I am very open to any way to travel on 16th or 17th of July, so could be different routes or times. I for example saw some that have a transfer in Paris, and others in Valence TGV. So I am sort of flexible, the only thing that is 100% sure is that it should be from Amsterdam (train station does not matter) to Barcelona Sants on these dates.

An option would for example be: 

Schiphol Airport - Valence TGV: 16th of July, 7:34-13:01

Valence TGV - Barcelona Sants: 16th of July 15:11-19:32

I am not sure that is enough information? Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The direct Thalys Amsterdam - Valence (- Marseille) does not have passholder seats.

On 16 July, there are only 2 Thalys trains Amsterdam - Paris left with passholder seats:

Both are too late to reach Barcelona the same day. The 15:12 Paris - Barcelona (21:54) does have pass holder seats though (34€). No luck from Antwerp but there are seats on a number of trains from Brussels:

You could use the normal IC to Brussels (arrival 9:16 or 10:16) and then book one of these Thalys trains (25€).

You can book the Thalys online via Interrail (2€ booking fee), the TGV Paris-Barcelona also, but Interrail can issue it on paper only so that makes for an extra 9€ postage fee on top of the reservation and the 2€ booking fee. Alternatively, book both trains by phone via SNCF (press #85 for English): no booking fees or postage fees and reservations are sent via e-mail.

Another option is via Lille. TGVs Lille - Paris are still at 10€ but you need to change a few times, so it's best to leave early:

Lille - Paris 10€, Paris - Barcelona 34€. Booking options same as above.

If you want to book this TGV Paris - Barcelona, don't hesitate. It will sell out well in advance.

(On Sunday, you can get to Paris early enough but the TGV Paris (15:12) - Barcelona doesn't have passholder seats anymore. The useful TGV from Brussel-Zuid at 10:17 to Valence doesn't have any passholder seats left on either day.)

Thank you so much! This has been incredibly helpful. I just called SNCF and have booked my ticket from Brussels to Paris and from Paris to Barcelona. Have a great day!

Hi Kaya,

For Amsterdam to Barcelona, wherever which way you took, did you use only one travel day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For Amsterdam to Barcelona, wherever which way you took, did you use only one travel day?

The above journeys were 1 travel day. You can use as many trains as you like on a travel day.

Thanks, rvdborgt. Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

That is correct.

Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

That is correct.

Thanks so much for clarifying this.