Solved

Bayeux to Market Harborough help?

• 6 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi- 

Looking for recommendations on best way to book trip for our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) from Bayeux, France to Market Harborough, UK (1hr north of london) in mid June. We have 1st class Eurail passes (mobile). I think I have some parts figured out but could use input on a few things.

Per Google maps, we can take get there in 3 main steps (all in one day):

1- 930 am TER train from Bayeux, France to Gare St Lazare in Paris (1200) , then transfer to RER E- go one stop to get to Gare du Nord to pickup the Eurostar to London St Pancras 

2- 1512 pm Eurostar to London St Pancras

3- EMR train from London St Pancras to Market Harborough, UK

Here are my questions:

1. I know our Eurail pass will get us through legs 1+2 of the trip. Is it valid on EMR trains in UK (leg 3) since the 3 legs will be within a single day of travel? I searched and couldnt get a definitive answer.
  2. If pass is valid on leg 3 of trip to Market Harborough, would you recommend a reservation for that one hour ride since our Eurail arrives in London at 1630 (rush hour) and we’d likely catch the 1635, 1735, or 1835 train?
  3. We have our Eurostar seat reservations already for Leg 2 of the trip. I know I need to make them for the Bayeux to Paris Leg 1 of the trip but have to wait until 90 days ahead. In the Eurail app, is it better to keep leg 1 and leg 2 separate as different trips or put together since they have different reservations? 
  4. The EMR train from St Pancras to Market Harborough, UK (leg 3) doesnt show in the Eurail app. How do we show a valid ticket for that part of the trip (assuming Eurail pass can be used)?

Very much appreciate your time and input and if there’s a completely better way to do this, open to suggestions.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 December 2023, 22:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You are too early to see a lot of services for June, they will be in a later update on the app and you will be able to add them before you travel.

UK reservations can be obtained for free by making an account on www.gwr.com , again too early to do this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
  1. Your pass is also valid on the EMR train.
  2. No idea but you can get reservations for free via GWR. There should normally be trains every 30 minutes though.
  3. Reservations for the TER from Bayeux to Paris are only available in France, from a ticket office or a ticket machine (the Grandes Lignes ones, usually white). Price is €1.70 per seat. Availability is normally not a problem. How you enter the trains in the app (as 1 or multiple journeys) doesn't matter and is not related to any reservations you may have. You do need to keep them in the same "trip”, since a pass can only be linked to one trip, which will contain all trains you'll use.
  4. Your pass is your ticket. If the train still doesn’t show in the app on your travel day (do check for app updates), then you can add it manually. Please check the GB timetables on https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

B: Definitely worth getting a free reservation on the EMR train, as suggested. That’s peak time, and they’ll be busy. In fact, book a couple of reservations on different trains. There’s no penalty for not using them. 

Details on how to do it for free here https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#UK

June won’t be available yet. Likely to be available in March.

I doubt you’ll get the 1635 unless you’re at the front of the Eurostar, you know St Pancras well, and you run! But there’s no harm trying  

There should be trains at 1705 and 1805, in addition to the ones you’ve found

C: I tend to put the trains in separately, so it’s easier to change them around, but it doesn’t really matter

The RER as I’m sure you’ve found, is from Haussmann St Lazare to Magenta. It’s a pain to buy tickets if you haven’t been to Paris before. You have to buy a prepaid Navigo card for each person (although I’ve heard you can use the phone app as well now). For a group of 4, you might well just take a taxi .

Edit: I thought the individual metro tickets had been phased out, but based on @rvdborgt ‘s post, it looks like they’re still available from ticket machines (for now).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The RER as I’m sure you’ve found, is from Haussmann St Lazare to Magenta. It’s a pain to buy tickets if you haven’t been to Paris before. You have to buy a prepaid Navigo card for each person (although I’ve heard you can use the phone app as well now).

No need to buy a Navigo pass anymore when using the Navigo app. In addition, regular single tickets are also available from ticket machines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This won’t affect the OP, so it’s a little off topic, but I see that RATP are putting the cost of a metro ticket to €4 during the Olympics and Paralympics. 😳

Thank you so much everyone- grateful for your time and expertise!