Solved

British Trains

• 2 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi team, 

Soon I will be landing in London with Plans to go to Worcester, Birmingham, York, Edinburgh and Amsterdam. Wondering if the Eurorail pass is worth it? Advance tickets on British trains seem to be much cheaper, but I don't want to be locked into having to get specific trains. For this reason, the Eurorail seems more flexible . Thoughts? 

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 2 September 2022, 09:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you want flexibility, then Eurail can be worth it. But only you can do the calculations: make a plan and look what flexible tickets cost. Then compare with a Eurail pass, including the Eurostar reservation. Reservations in GB (day trains) are free of charge and optional.

Thank you! I’ve done some calculations and by itself, in aud the total trip looks to be around $700. With eurorail pass + Eurostar reservation I’m looking at $500. This has been super helpful!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Before you make your decision, make sure to check that there are pass holder seats available on the Eurostar for the date you want to travel. It can also be wise to make the reservation for the Eurostar then as the pass holder seats can sell out quickly if you are unlucky. 

Check availability and make your reservation here. 

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

If you would make the reservation before getting you pass you can use I11111111 as Pass Cover Number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Without doubt the Global pass is well worth it for a journey around the UK. Although prepurchased saver tickets are cheap they are non-changeable or non-refundable and on the day prices are very high.

With your global pass you can also travel at peak times with no premium - low cost tickets tend to be off-peak. A peak time second class single from Edinburgh to London would cost £173 (200 euro) compared to a off peak saver of £80 (100 euro).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If your budget will run to it you could consider first class. Both LNER (London to York and Edinburgh) and Eurostar offer excellent first class/Standard Premier services with drinks and food services. No reservation fees in UK and about 19 euro extra on E*.

If your budget will run to it you could consider first class. Both LNER (London to York and Edinburgh) and Eurostar offer excellent first class/Standard Premier services with drinks and food services. No reservation fees in UK and about 19 euro extra on E*.

Thank you so much for that! I thought the same thing, I want flexibility so I definitely think eurail is the way to go!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Your itinerary is a logical routing but don’t forget to allow at least a full day for your visit to York. Also well worth a visit in York is the National Railway Museum. It is attached to the station by a walkway and is free to enter.

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/

If you plan to take Eurostar after Edinburgh you will travel LNER to London Kings Cross. E* leaves from St Pancras which is next door so connection is easy.