Solved

Can I use public transportation in London with Interrail/Eurail Pass?

• 12 March 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi there, 

I was wondering if I can use public transportation on my travel day in London? If yes, how does that work? Do I need to add it to my trip?

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 12 March 2022, 09:34

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interrail is only valid in trains (the train operating companies listed here). In London, this includes London Overground, Southeastern, Tfl Rail (Crossrail) and Thameslink. It does however not include the tube, tram or bus lines.

Alright thank you! I tried adding a trip with Thameslink but it didn't work. Will it be valid if I add it manually? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Alright thank you! I tried adding a trip with Thameslink but it didn't work. Will it be valid if I add it manually? 

What does "it didn't work” mean? Is the train not in the planner? If there's an error message, then please post a screenshot, or otherwise a screenshot of where you get stuck.

Adding a train manually is always OK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Note that a very few stations are combined \TfL and Rails+there you MAY have quite some trouble with staff to enter, as they are mostly used to underground users.

The trips on bus or metro you can simply pay with your bankpass-there is a daily limit depending on on which zones you travel and if you use bus or more.

Badge

Hi

you mention its valid for the interrail. how about the eurail? Is the eurail pass valid on most underground and subways in london and amsterdam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi

you mention its valid for the interrail. how about the eurail? Is the eurail pass valid on most underground and subways in london and amsterdam?

Interrail and Eurail have the same validity and function the same way, the only difference being European (Interrail) customers have restrictions on using it in their home country.

The advice above, as with all other on these boards applies equally to Eurail.

As a rule the passes are not valid on city metro/tram/bus networks. Please read the pages on the Eurail site and the Rail Network guides section on the app for more details about validity in each country.

Badge

Thank you for the swift reply. I assume metro/tram/bus networks is not the under and above ground in London. So therefore the eurail pass works?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Interrail is only valid in trains (the train operating companies listed here). In London, this includes London Overground, Southeastern, Tfl Rail (Crossrail) and Thameslink. It does however not include the tube, tram or bus lines.

Badge

Thank you

Badge

Hi

im a little concerned if I buy the eurail ticket and there is no availability on the train. The system only tells me the price of the seat reservation. Does that mean there are seats?

I looked from Brussels to London and it gave me a price for the seats on the 22nd. Does that mean there is availability?

please if you can clarify because I don’t want to buy it and there are no seats on the trains