Change times in Mannheim

I am traveling from Munich, Germany to Basel, Switzerland in late November and I have to change trains in Mannheim. Is the 7 minute change time that is listed enough time to change trains? What happens if the train to Mannheim is late?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

7  minutes is enough if your train is on time. If it is late, the connecting train may wait but if not, you just take the next one. There’s at least 1 train per hour to Basel.

But November is still a very long time. You'd better check timetables again a few weeks in advance, preferably using the DB planner, which is much more up to date than the rail planner app or the Eurail website.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Do you have a special reason to travel via Mannheim? The way via St. Gallen should be faster, even you have to calculate to miss the connection in Zürich and lose half an hour. (This train is always late cause of using inproper rolling stock with countless bugs.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

DB in DE: its ICE (the shiny all white fast trains) are abysmal in being on time-notwithstanding the german fondness of ¨Pünktlichkeit´. Less as 70% of all trains are on time on the last check-last month. But this varies enormpously with route, traintype and works on the line and other factors.

And yes- its waaaaaaaaay too early to even think about nov now-and yes, the route via Swiss is far better, more scenic and likely to be on time.

Thank you so much for the replies as they give me something to further think about. I started with the route to Mannheim as that was one with the fewest train changes, but now am wondering, is it better to go thru Zurich. Are the trains more reliable, cleaner and a better option?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The last : just toss a coin-in general trains are clean here in DE. Reliable in the way of ´on time´ or even ´running at all´ they are not.

Just this morning I passed MH (on the same train=no change) and from FRAnkfurt the delay was nearing 1 hr for undisclosed reasons. Yesterday I had anohter ICE-delay well over 2 hrs-due to derailment and blocking the normal line=diverted via oversaturated other lines.

Oh-and I also noted whilst waiting and reading the notes: the advised line south of Stuttgart has Works-coming weeks, and BUS replacement for around 25-30 KMs. close by the border to swiss. But who knows what the situation will be in cold november

Here is my situation: Going to Munich for a couple of days prior to going on a Viking River Cruise from Basel-thus the reasoning on having to get to Basel from Munich. I hear the train from Munich to Zurich is a beautiful journey and would like to take it if it is reliable and can get me to Basel around 13:00. Best suggestion(s)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sure you can, e.g.:

Next trains in Zürich at 10:36 and 10:59.

Check the DB timetable on your travel date. You can force "via Zurich” if you want.

Thanks for your quick response, It is really appreciated. 

It looks like the way to go io Basel from Munich is thru Zurich. I can just imagine the snow on the Alps at that time of the year.

When should one make reservations?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks like the way to go io Basel from Munich is thru Zurich. I can just imagine the snow on the Alps at that time of the year.

When should one make reservations?

If you're just on your own, it's not necessary on such an early train from Munich. It starts there so you should be able to find a seat. You can book one via DB (4€) or ÖBB (3€) though; use the "Seat only” option. For the connecting train Zurich - Basel, a reservation is unnecessary. Almost nobody books a seat in Switzerland.