DB train fully booked

• 2 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Hi guys,

I’d like to take a Dortmund-Berlin train next June but presumably due to the Euros on the bahn.com it is already written "train is fully booked" and "passengers who have not yet purchased a ticket should choose a different connection".

Does it really mean the train is 100% occupied and I have to take another train or can I expect seats to be freed until June due to re-bookings, etc.?

Alternatively, would it still be possible to go in the train and stand up despite not having a seat or buy a ticket onsite at a machine/counter?

Thank you!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

At times of very high demand DB do enforce reservations and remove people without from overcrowded trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@lmbcosta  You could try to get a reservation (not a ticket) from ÖBB Austrian Rail when DB already stop to sell reservations for trains ÖBB usually can stil sell few :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You didn't mention your travel date but I looked at a random date in June (19 June), where this train is also supposedly fully booked. That is however very, very unlikely such a long time in advance. In addition, the direct trains running 1, 2 and 3 hours earlier have very cheap fares available and can be booked. It rather seems to me the trains can't be booked yet for some reason.

You didn't mention your travel date but I looked at a random date in June (19 June), where this train is also supposedly fully booked. That is however very, very unlikely such a long time in advance. In addition, the direct trains running 1, 2 and 3 hours earlier have very cheap fares available and can be booked. It rather seems to me the trains can't be booked yet for some reason.

From what I saw most of the dates where the train is "fully booked" coincide with Euro matches in Dortmund, I think this might be the reason. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From what I saw most of the dates where the train is "fully booked" coincide with Euro matches in Dortmund, I think this might be the reason. 

But why would only the last train of the day be fully booked and all others still have plenty of space? That doesn't make any sense.

@lmbcosta  You could try to get a reservation (not a ticket) from ÖBB Austrian Rail when DB already stop to sell reservations for trains ÖBB usually can stil sell few :) 

Hi, I was finally able to get the reservation :)
Now do I have to wait for tickets to be on sale online again or can I buy it onsite?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Now do I have to wait for tickets to be on sale online again or can I buy it onsite?

What tickets do you mean here? A pass? If you don't have a pass, there's no rush to buy one. There's often a sale in March, and in any case you can wait until an hour or so before departure to buy a pass, if you want.

What tickets do you mean here? A pass? If you don't have a pass, there's no rush to buy one. There's often a sale in March, and in any case you can wait until an hour or so before departure to buy a pass, if you want.

Single ticket for that train, supposedly sold out at the moment

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Single ticket for that train, supposedly sold out at the moment

You can buy a flexible ticket for another train and use it on the one you want, but there no reason to do that. Just wait until DB release tickets for that train.