Solved

Discount for SNCF trains for EURAIL pass holder?

• 19 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Hello, I have recently purchased two EURAIL global passes for my holiday to Europe in May/June - however, I am having trouble booking seat reservations through EURAIL for Italy and Spain so I am trying to book them through their respective rail websites.

I found the train from Barcelona > Marseille on sncf-connect.com, but the two seat reservation is approximately 220 Euros. It is a first-class seat and I have a first-class EURAIL global pass.

My question is: am I able to get a discount on my seat reservations with my EURAIL pass if I am booking the trip directly through the train service website?

If not, what is the purpose of the pass if I am travelling Spain>France and France>Italy if I cannot book these tickets through EURAIL website, and am instead booking directly with the train service?

Thanks so much for any assistance.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 19 February 2023, 07:48

View original

2 replies

It's not possible to book reservations for rail pass holders for the routes mentioned on the train company website. The price you got is for a ticket without rallpass, not for a seat reservation. 

Here is how to get reservations Spain to France: 

Here is how to get reservations France to Italy: 

But 1st class reservations for both trips are among the most expensive ones for rail pass holders, too. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I found the train from Barcelona > Marseille on sncf-connect.com, but the two seat reservation is approximately 220 Euros. It is a first-class seat and I have a first-class EURAIL global pass.

There is no direct train from Barcelona to Marseille at this time. A seat reservation on the Barcelona to Nîmes train should cost €27 per person when bought through the Eurail reservations portal. 

From Nîmes to Marseille, you can get an Intercités (reservations usually €10 per person + €4 booking fee, book through https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish).

€220 seems like a full price, it shouldn't cost more than about €50. You can save even more by taking regional trains (no reservations) all the way to Marseille (but you'll be travelling for quite a long time).

Check the timetables for the Barcelona to Cerbère services on https://rodalies.gencat.cat/en/horaris/index.html and those from Cerbère to Marseille on the app indicating "no seat reservation required" (but double check on SNCF as the app timetables aren't always accurate and not real-time).