Solved

Eastern Europe - Greece/ Turkey

• 15 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend and we wanted to travel from eastern europe to Greece or Turkey. But when we use the Interrail app we dont see any options. 

Doe someone has a solution for us? Or is someone planning a trip in the same direction? 

icon

Best answer by runner.on.rails 16 June 2021, 08:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Everyone,

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend and we wanted to travel from eastern europe to Greece or Turkey. But when we use the Interrail app we dont see any options. 

Doe someone has a solution for us? Or is someone planning a trip in the same direction? 

Hello Nathan

What excactly do you mean by “eastern europe”. I guess you mean the easternmost countries included by interrail? You won’t find a connection to greece, in normal years there are some, but you would need to use the website of state railways trainose to check: https://www.trainose.gr/en/passenger-activity/international-services/international-railway-services/

The international trains to greece are replaced by busses from the last station of the depending other country to the first station on greece main line. But in the moment, there is no border crossing connection at all. You need to go for normal busses.

For the line to Turkey check bulgarian railways web page:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/c/international-rail

But unfortunately also no trains in the moment.

Btw, in the Balkans its often better to check pages of all participating railways of an international train. Since they are not always that updated. And, if you want to be sure, write them an email.

Thank you for the information. I think the bottom line is that at the moment there are no International trains operating from Serbia to Greece.

What do you recommend how we could go from Germany to Greece. Is Italy the only option for now?

Btw: We will be traveling in September 

Thanks for your help much appreciated 👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Thank you for the information. I think the bottom line is that at the moment there are no International trains operating from Serbia to Greece.

What do you recommend how we could go from Germany to Greece. Is Italy the only option for now?

Btw: We will be traveling in September 

Thanks for your help much appreciated 👍

Over Italy and ferry to Greece is one option.

But from the “eastern end” of Greece you will need to take a bus to Turkey. You could also go via Romania and Bulgaria. Or Serbia and Bulgaria (I dont know if the train operates there, you would have to ask them)

And, until September everything could change again, perhaps the Hellas Express will operate again. Perhaps only between Belgrade and Gevgelija. Nobody knows yet.