Solved

Error when trying to reserve seat on train from Berlin to Amsterdam; "Please try to find an alternate connection. The unavailable leg will be removed from your cart."

• 14 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone,

I am trying to reserve a seat on the train leaving HANNOVER HBF on the 18th of April at 14:40 for AMSTERDAM CENTRAAL at 19:00. Whenever I try to reserve seats I get an error stating “Please try to find an alternate connection. The unavailable leg will be removed from your cart.”

On EUrail website

But the thing is, when I look on the DB website, there is availability on that train and I can even book seat reservations.

I have also tried to mobile eurail website on my phone, but I can’t even add the seats to my cart on there. I’m not sure what’s going on, because I was able to reserve seats on a train from Amsterdam to Paris with no issues.

Someone please help, I would like to hold the seat reservation in my EUrail account for simplicity when traveling.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 March 2022, 19:14

View original

6 replies

Also, can someone please tell me why tickets are sold for this route for 100 Euro, but seat reservations are only 6 Euro? What is the difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

100 € is a normal ticket.

For optional reservations in/to/via Germany, it's better to make a reservation via DB (click on "Seat only”). DB will only charge 4 € per person per journey, whereas Eurail will charge 8 € in total per person and train, which would be 16 € per person for these 2 trains. DB will also let you select your seats (in your 3rd screenshot).

For optional reservations in/to/via Germany, it's better to make a reservation via DB (click on "Seat only”). DB will only charge 4 € per person per journey, whereas Eurail will charge 8 € in total per person and train, which would be 16 € per person for these 2 trains. DB will also let you select your seats (in your 3rd screenshot).

Thanks for the advice. It’s just a shame that I can’t purchase these seat reservations via EUrail, it would be convenient.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for the advice. It’s just a shame that I can’t purchase these seat reservations via EUrail, it would be convenient.

Yes it would be convenient but you would pay even a service fee on top :)
I try to avoid to buy reservations from Eurail due the service and in case of paper reservations shipping fee (i prefer to reserve directly on the traincompanies page or at the station)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I agree it should work via Eurail but I don't think it's worth paying 4 times as much (16 instead of 4 € in this case).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That day is a holiday (Easter, Ostern., Pasen) and they like to use long weekends for doing WORKs somewhere on the rails. trains are not planes and hence cannot fly over that-they will be diverted or cut short or maybe even a bus part of the way. Yet another reason to check a far better uptodate site like bahn.de or even ns.nl for the dutch part.

Also: these trains are NOT mandatory to REServe, but optional, but as it will be busy you run a big chance to have to stand part of the way without. It does not work like AmTrak -or planes-with only regulated seats

This pass is an over 50 yrs coöperative effort of >100 railways in 33 countries and each and everyone of those likes to maintain its very own standards etc and ways to run it. We here are simply used to that and take it for granted