Solved

Eurail pass TER train coverage

• 17 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi People!

I think I’ve established that TERs within France (e.g. Paris » Burgundy / Colmar) doesn’t require reservations. Some questions here!

1. Does my global Eurail pass cover TER train rides cost? (i.e. Can I simply show up with my Eurail’s QR code/any form of scanning and take the TER train based on their train schedule and hop on freely?)
  2. Or does TER requires purchase from SNCF websites beforehand?

Thank you for your help!

Eugene

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 17 September 2022, 23:08

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As long as you add any train not requiring a reservation (including TERs) to your Trip and Pass before boarding you can indeed board and go. Just a word of caution that they have started asking for reservations on trains to Normandy - check carefully.

You get your QR code for the day on your first train of the day but you still need to show later trains on the pass for it to be a valid journey.

You get your QR code for the day on your first train of the day but you still need to show later trains on the pass for it to be a valid journey.

Hmm could you explain the later trains on the pass? -- So like I have on one day’s journey from:

1. Paris » Strasbourg (TGV)
  2. Strasbourg » Colmar (TER)
  3. Colmar » Riquewihr (This is just a bus)
  4. Riquewihr » Colmar (Bus again)
  5. Colmar » Strasbourg (TER)
  6. Strasbourg » Paris (TGV)

What does showing later train for a QR code to be valid mean? -- I have to show i have reserved #1, #2, #5, #6 on the screen?  » like the reservation details from b-europe?

If that’s the case means I won’t be able to board the train even having bought tickets if i don’t show all trains or something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations are not tickets and are separate from your pass. They will never show in your pass and need to be either on your phone or printed out.

It will be much easier to stick to the terminology -

Your tickets ( i.e.your pass) are vouchers to travel on the trains listed in your travel days and sent to your pass to accompany the QR code for that day.(see below)

Reservations are simply vouchers to take a specific seat on the train you are catching. In some cases a reservation is mandatory and is extra to the Global pass - this is what you get from reservation suppliers like b-europe. When needed these are always additional to your Global Pass.

Some trains have voluntary reservations (useful at busy times) and many like TERs have no reservations available, so just add either of these to the trip and then to pass and go.

I assume you have figured out that you put your planned trains into “your trip” in the app. Then before you board the train you operate the little slider to move it to your pass/ Then you click the show ticket button and it creates your ticket, which is a QR code and a written description of the train route and times. Until the slider is moved you do not have an active ticket.

If your plans change before travel simply slide it back and add any alternatives = right up to boarding.

If you board extra trains throughout the day you do the same process of adding them to your trip (if they are not already there) and operating the slider. This adds the new train details to your ticket and so on.

Your reservations are totally independent to your pass. For trains with compulsory reservations you have to present the reservation along with your pass. If you have a voluntary reservation that is used for finding your seat, but not needed for inspection to travel.

Obviously buses are not included in your pass unless they are rail replacement services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN FRance it is always either/or: OR anyone MUST RES (TGV and IC) or one cannot (all TER). That makes at least life simple.

The BUSes that once were doing routes that ages ago used to have trains are NO MORE included in the pass-as the regions have taken over running them and merged with the many other local lines. You now just pay driver-in most cases it is very cheap 2€ or so.

Exception are rail-replacement buses running when lines are under repair

very well explained here -- Thanks a bunch! @Yorkie and @mcadv 

I’m still confused on the Paris to Florence route. I booked (with euro global pass) seats Paris to Strasbourg

strasbourg to Basel

Basel to Bellinzona

bellinzona to Milano 

milano to florence

I received e mail with printable passes.  But It has no mention nor tickets from Strasbourg to Basel.

Am I or did I do something wrong

Thank You 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m still confused on the Paris to Florence route. I booked (with euro global pass) seats Paris to Strasbourg

strasbourg to Basel

Basel to Bellinzona

bellinzona to Milano 

milano to florence

I received e mail with printable passes.  But It has no mention nor tickets from Strasbourg to Basel.

Strasbourg to Basel will be a TER, which is a regional train and reservations are not possible. Just board and find a seat.

Additionally, reservations in Switzerland (e.g. Basel to Bellinzona) are really not needed and are generally a waste of money.

You don't need to print any of these reservations but you can of course if you want. Showing them on a screen is fine.

How will I know what train to board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You look up the screens at the station and it will say:

- 10:51 TERxxxx to Basel SBB (stopping at Sélestat, Colmar, Mulhouse)

If you wish to take the 10:51 train that's the one. Platforms in France are usually announced 15-20 min before departure.

For Switzerland feel free to use the SBB app it will give helpful info.