Solved

From Madrid to Milano

• 2 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Dear all, 

Hoping someone can guide me here pretty please.

I looked up in in the app planer and I can make it from Madrid to Milan on the same day in just over 15 hours.

In Madrid I was able to book a HSpeed train to Barcelona at 7am. Renfe won't sell me any of the other trains after Barcelona. 

I found in the app that I need to call a number to book Barcelona- Valence. I haven't done it yet but I am hoping this is a straight forward step. The train shows in the Eurail website as well as in the app.

The next train, Valence-Chambery Challes requires no reservations and also shows in both app and website.

Now, the HSpeed and last train and as shown on the app, the Chambery-Milano P.Garibaldi requires reservations. The app says I can book on the Eurail website. I am looking on the website and this train is not showing. This is for January 10th departing 17:44 arriving in Milano at 21:49 (4 hours and much better than a regular train that takes more than twice as long).

Can someone help me? Does the app planner not match the website? Does this last HSpeed train exists and how do I book it?

Thank you!!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 2 January 2023, 20:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, you can call SNCF Call Center (select #85 for english) for the TGV Barcelona-Valence and for the TGV Chambery-Milan P.G.

Online should be possible the booking of both trains via eurail.com, but sometimes it does not work. 

When will you travel?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

When will you travel?

10th January :/

Quite late for the International TGV´s Spain - France + France - Italy (as these have just limited seats)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

When will you travel?

Quite late for the International TGV´s Spain - France + France - Italy (as these have just limited seats)

The interrail portal seems to still offer both these trains for the 10th of January. Should be the same for Eurail; have you checked eurail.com/book-reservations?

Calling SNCF would allow you to save €2 per reservation, so €53 for this instead of €57, but international calls are generally not cheap.

If I’m not mistaken, pass fares on the two Paris-Barcelona TGV’s are no longer restricted to quotas. Still only two daily trains so they can indeed sell out, but as far as I’ve seen there are always passholder reservations available whenever there are seats available.

Deal all..  thank you so much for your help.

I didn't realise that the searches in the Eurail reservations page had the 'no reservations' filter activated. I was able to book the whole journey from Barcelona to Milan on the website.

Thanks again! 

Natalia and Thomas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

When will you travel?

@seewulf Thanks, I should read better.

About the TGV to Spain, all seats can be booked by pass holder since SNCF only. About the TGV to Milan I don’t know, but I think it is not limited. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Deal all..  thank you so much for your help.

I didn't realise that the searches in the Eurail reservations page had the 'no reservations' filter activated. I was able to book the whole journey from Barcelona to Milan on the website.

Thanks again! 

Natalia and Thomas 

Great! Have a nice trip. Both connections are pretty tight, so let us know how it goes.

One thing I forgot to mention that probably isn't very relevant for you but might be for others finding this post: There is a Trenitalia train from Chambéry at 18:49 (arr. Milano Cle 22:07) which allows for a bit more margin. While this train is not covered by Interrail, full tickets for this train are sometimes fairly cheap when booking ahead: on the 11th of January for instance €23 - cheaper than the €30 Interrail reservation fee of the TGV. On the 10th the Trenitalia train costs €45, so I would rely on SNCF offering you alternatives if the connections should fail.