Solved

Full price on SJ Nighttrain Hamburg-Stockholm

• 26 September 2022
  • 48 replies

Hi everyone,

I want to book a nighttrain between Stockholm and Hamburg. According to the Interrail’s planner, it should be possible (from 39€) but after buying my pass, it seems that there is no day where it is available (always “Seat reservations required from NA”). I try on sj.se too but even when there are some place available, there is no discount with the Interrail pass.

Does anyone know how it is possible to book these trains (my pass is useless otherwise) ? 

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 26 September 2022, 13:51

View original

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Which date and departure time would you like to book?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are lots of problems with the reservation of this train on the SJ site. You can try the ÖBB site which normally works better for that train. However, SJ has blocked the sell of reservations/tickets for most departures due to problems with the coaches.

Right now the train only has couchettes and neither sleeper nor seats as there are problems for SJ to get the coaches approved to travel through Denmark.

Noone knows when the problem will be solved so the only thing to do is to keep checking if reservations are available. 

There has also been problems to get the correct price for reservations if you travel with Interrail/Eurail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are now 2 different ones;

Snalltaget is a priv company, does not run ev. day and goes on to Berlin-and sometimes Dresden or in winter the ski/alps. They accept passes with quite a high supplmt, but as I also checked myself for about 2 weeks ago it indeed seems they would not allow/dispose any free seats/beds.

SJ has started to run a daily overnite STO-via Malmo-Köpenhamn to HH=Hamburg, since early sept. but they had probs with some cars and now only the couchette runs, not the seats or real sleepers-seems to have to do with regulations in the tunnel. But I read they have also stopped accepting RE for now-current situation a bit unclear, perhaps anna b fra Sverige knows more.

IF you really want to do this trip and do not mind less comfort: in the late aftern. X2000 to Malmö-oresundt to Cph-overnite seats only DSB-IC till whatever you fancy on the Aarhus line-change somewhere on the earliest IC to Hamburg from there (Fredericia or Kolding-or other if that gives better waiting times in the early morning). READ alt overview for RES on howodo-in fact only SJ is mandatory for this (65SEK). The overngiht DSB-seats only CPH-HH has stopped running for now-its summer only.

I would like to travel on 12th october. I have had some screenshots to describe better the situation.

Trip Planner
Interrail booking page
sj.se booking page on the same date for the same train. The price is the same with or without Interrail pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I see the same effect on the ÖBB website. With or without Interrail the price is €129.90.

I'd ask SJ (via social media) why they’re not showing any pass holder reservations.

Userlevel 1
Badge

From today, the Hamburg Altona-Stockholm night train can now be booked after December 10 on the SJ website, but only a full ticket without interrail. After entering the interrail code, the same full prices appear as without interrail. Why can't interrail reservations be bought for this train? I had to buy regular tickets, and I will use Interrail only from Stockholm to Kiruna and Abisko and back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From today, the Hamburg Altona-Stockholm night train can now be booked after December 10 on the SJ website, but only a full ticket without interrail. After entering the interrail code, the same full prices appear as without interrail. Why can't interrail reservations be bought for this train? I had to buy regular tickets, and I will use Interrail only from Stockholm to Kiruna and Abisko and back.

We still don't know. I'd suggest again to ask SJ why they don't have any pass holder fees available. And let us know what they say.

Userlevel 1

Hi

Did you get an answer from SJ?

I didn’t!

I have exactly the same question : I’m wondering if I take an Interrail Pass for the Hamburg Altona-Stockholm night train or not.

I would like to take my tickets very soon because I’m too afraid do not have places anymore!

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did you get an answer from SJ?

I didn’t!

Where did you ask? They might respond quicker if you post a public message on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sj

Userlevel 1

I sent an email. I will try on Facebook. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@L'élan blanc @Wilkosz 

There are problems with the Interrail reservations and other special reservations for the SJ Euronight right now. No one knows when it will be fixed but SJ is aware of the problem. 

Userlevel 1

OK. I got answer on facebook.Thanks rvdborgt! Indeed SJ knows that there is a problem with Interrail Pass. They are fixing it but they are not able to say when it will be OK. I propose that the first of us who has an info inform the others! 😉 Have a good day.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don't have an interrail pass yet, first I wanted to see the booking options and full ticket prices. That's why I had no problem yesterday to buying a full ticket from Hamburg to Stockholm on this train. Yesterday, berth prices for some days were almost the same price as the reservation. €39 full ticket. Today the prices for some days are expensiver around 59 Euro.

Only an interrail berth reservation costs 34 euros for this train.

I will also like to hear any updates. We have had the same issue as we’re waiting to book tickets before Christmas and in the new year between Hamburg & Stockholm. If you check ÖBB you can reserve with the interrail discount until the 10th December. But ÖBB doesn’t currently show any of the Euronight trains between Stockholm & Hamburg on its system after the 10th December. Is anyone aware of when ÖBB will display these? I’ll try and get a hold of their customer service to find out, but I have a feeling they would refer me to SJ and then SJ will state that they’re trying to fix their system.

I will also like to hear any updates. We have had the same issue as we’re waiting to book tickets before Christmas and in the new year between Hamburg & Stockholm. If you check ÖBB you can reserve with the interrail discount until the 10th December. But ÖBB doesn’t currently show any of the Euronight trains between Stockholm & Hamburg on its system after the 10th December. Is anyone aware of when ÖBB will display these? I’ll try and get a hold of their customer service to find out, but I have a feeling they would refer me to SJ and then SJ will state that they’re trying to fix their system.

ÖBB will no longer sell tickets to this train as I've understood it, the booking of tickets have been moved from ÖBB system to SJ own system. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the information. I had no news from SJ and I finally booked full prices tickets without Interrail Pass because I didn't want to risk to no have any places anymore. I booked a smaller pass for my other journeys by train in family from France to Lapland in February : @lelanblanc !😎

Userlevel 1
Badge

This train is after 10.12 not even listed on the Deutsche Bahn website. Usually all trains in Europe can be seen there, including those for which tickets are not sold. Meanwhile, SJ prices have risen very quickly day by day and are now over €100 per bert for the most of days in february and march 2023. For some days, such as February 17, no tickets to sold.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to book a night train too, from Stockholm to Hamburg but with no luck at all.  Even the daytime trains don’t seem to be available for booking.  Can anyone tell me how far in advance SJ make tickets available. and also, how far ahead should I reserve a seat in Sweden, please?    I have a first class global pass.   All advice is very welcome: am finding it hard to navigate reservations with my pass.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since the 25th of January it is possible to make reservations for day trains with SJ until the 28th of May, but the planning of construction works during Easter and Ascension is not yet finalised so about 40 % of the departures during that time will not be possible to reserve until the end of February. 

For the SJ Euronight is at the moment possible to make reservations until the 30th of March. The plan is the SJ Euronight will be prolonged from Hamburg to Berlin from April. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@juliadbau  For what routes and when do you want to make reservations?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since I posted that I have read that reservations for the night trains from Stockholm can’t be made more than 60 days in advance:  I was trying for Stockholm to Hamburg on May 30th so it is  probably too far ahead?  thanks for your reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since I posted that I have read that reservations for the night trains from Stockholm can’t be made more than 60 days in advance:  I was trying for Stockholm to Hamburg on May 30th so it is  probably too far ahead?  thanks for your reply!

The 60 day rule is not true for Sweden. Tickets/reservations are released 4 times a year by SJ, but due to construction works some tickets/reservations are only released a week or two before the departure. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks again for your help! so really it is just luck and perserverence?! I want to book from Narvik to Stockholm on the overnight train as well….  I am assuming that I do need to book as far ahead as possible though?   Can one make bookings by phone by any chance? I can’t find details anywhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks again for your help! so really it is just luck and perserverence?! I want to book from Narvik to Stockholm on the overnight train as well….  I am assuming that I do need to book as far ahead as possible though?   Can one make bookings by phone by any chance? I can’t find details anywhere. 

The reservations in Sweden are easy to make once the trains are available. 

There is no use calling SJ as Customer Support don't have any more information than what is available online. If the train isn't possible to reserve at sj.se then SJ Customer Support can't help you. 

Ive been reading all these posts about booking Night trains with an Interrail pass. Is it really such a problem?  My understanding is that ( for example ) Abisko to Stockholm is fairly straight forward as it is just covering Sweden , where as the Stockholm  to Hamburg one is an issue as it involves 3 separate countries?  No wonder most people FLY !!!!! What's it like booking a Night jet Vienna to Paris for example?