Solved

Full price on SJ Nighttrain Hamburg-Stockholm

• 26 September 2022
  • 48 replies

Hi everyone,

I want to book a nighttrain between Stockholm and Hamburg. According to the Interrail’s planner, it should be possible (from 39€) but after buying my pass, it seems that there is no day where it is available (always “Seat reservations required from NA”). I try on sj.se too but even when there are some place available, there is no discount with the Interrail pass.

Does anyone know how it is possible to book these trains (my pass is useless otherwise) ? 

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 26 September 2022, 13:51

View original

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ive been reading all these posts about booking Night trains with an Interrail pass. Is it really such a problem?  My understanding is that ( for example ) Abisko to Stockholm is fairly straight forward as it is just covering Sweden , where as the Stockholm  to Hamburg one is an issue as it involves 3 separate countries?  No wonder most people FLY !!!!! What's it like booking a Night jet Vienna to Paris for example?

The big problem is the construction works on the tracks. The authority responsible for the construction works on the Swedish rails has changed their planning system and now sometimes the railway companies running the trains only get a few weeks notice on when the tracks will be open/closed. 

Due to this the railway companies have to decide if they release the ticket for trains that they think will run and risk having to cancel tickets or if they wait with releasing the tickets until the final timetable is set, which can be only weeks before the departure. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the explanations and help, AnnaB

Much appreciated.  Good to have this community of travellers!

I was reading about issues with night train Stockholm to Hamburg. Is it the same problem booking Stockholm to Berlin?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was reading about issues with night train Stockholm to Hamburg. Is it the same problem booking Stockholm to Berlin?

That depends on when you want to travel. Right now only Snälltåget runs a direct night train from Stockholm to Berlin and that train only runs parts of the year, in the summer season. Reservations for this summer can be made at snalltaget.se but a couchette is rather expensive, more than 60 EUR.

The SJ Euronight will hopefully start running continuing from Hamburg to Berlin in April but that is not confirmed yet. 

Right now Snälltåget runs weekly trains from Stockholm to the Austrian Alps and from Malmö to the Swedish mountains. Interrail/Eurail is not valid on these ski-trains. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@juliadbau @Sharon Bishop 

SJ has today released the tickets/reservations for the SJ Euronight until the 30th of September. From the 31st of March the train from Stockholm will continue to Berlin and from the 1st of April the train to Stockholm will start in Berlin.

Please check the arrival/departure station in Berlin as that will be different on different days of the week.

Reservations are best made at sj.se The price for a berth in a couchette should be 385 SEK and in a sleeper 830 SEK. 

Wow thanks so much. I am planning to go the first week of October so I hope it's still running then! As trying to go Stockholm to Berlin!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you so much Anna B for this information: very helpful and I shall book my train as soon as possible!

Userlevel 1
Badge

that works!  but sorry, another question:  the night train from Narvik to Stockholm is still showing “not available” for the end of May. Is that one not open for booking yet? 

thanks again for all your great help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, seems that it is not yet open for booking… still 4 months until then… so no worries)

Userlevel 1
Badge

ah, okay, thanks for fast reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

that works!  but sorry, another question:  the night train from Narvik to Stockholm is still showing “not available” for the end of May. Is that one not open for booking yet? 

thanks again for all your great help.

I have asked VY, who run the train, and reservations normally start 90 days in advance, but it can be later due to lack of information about construction works. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

i”ll start checking on the right date then. Its really helpful having this community: thank you!

Do they even have private or 6 person berths?  From reading this thread, it sounded like Denmark hadn’t approved those train cars.  I’m looking to travel June 29:  Hamburg to Stockholm

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do they even have private or 6 person berths?  From reading this thread, it sounded like Denmark hadn’t approved those train cars.  I’m looking to travel June 29:  Hamburg to Stockholm

@gmpete 

All train cars are approved now and the train runs with seats, couchettes and sleepers, both 1st and 2nd class.

Userlevel 1
Badge

With regard to the night trains - is there a way to choose which couchette berth has been allocated? I have booked now (thanks to guidance from here!)  from Stockholm to Hamburg,  but have no idea which couchette berth I have and would rather have a bottom one.  Does anyone have information on how to do this?  Thank you again!

There is another way to book a night train from Hamburg to Stockholm ? The sj.se is down since few days. Regarding this topic it’s the only one known to book that trip :(

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The SJ website (and more Swedish websites) suffered from hacker attacks. The SJ website is currently only reachable from Swedish IP addresses, so you could use a VPN. Possible Trainplanet can also book it:

https://tickets.trainplanet.com/travel-wizard/search-tickets

The booking of the trip Hamburg Stockohlm doesnt work for me for friday. I contacted the support, finger crossed… I’ll try the VPN method.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer !

Are the construction works continuing in June? I was hoping to get the EuroNight Hamburg to Stockholm departing on Monday 12th June. To get around the problem of the SJ.se website being down, you can download the SJ app and that works. However for this train it says “Track works” so I guess there is no hope of it running? Anyone got any good ideas for alternatives?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are the construction works continuing in June? I was hoping to get the EuroNight Hamburg to Stockholm departing on Monday 12th June. To get around the problem of the SJ.se website being down, you can download the SJ app and that works. However for this train it says “Track works” so I guess there is no hope of it running?

The timetable just isn’t final yet. I just read in another thread that they try to open reservations by mid-May. So check regularly.

Thanks, it’s a bit annoying because I was planning to get the Eurostar that morning and seat reservations for some of those seem to be selling out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Book Eurostar ASAP yeah, I wouldn't wait. The SJ night train should run and last solution there is the Snalltaget night train to Malmö at 23:35. Of course you'd need a second pass day to Stockholm or buy a regular ticket

Thanks!