Solved

German seat only no ticket reservation

• 22 August 2021
  • 7 replies

I have reserved seats no tickets on trains in Germany on DBs platform. My global pass will work as the ticket correct? I'm specifically going Frankfurt to Munich, then onward Munich to Vienna. Normally I could just book the direct ice train. But due to striking tomorrow in Germany I need to do a more convoluted way, and I need confirm seats, because there is a risk I will not get on otherwise. The train tickets are currently around $400, so that's why I need to know if the pass is going to work as my ticket.

icon

Best answer by Nanja 24 August 2021, 12:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Zoe, your Global Pass is your one ticket indeed. For some trains you'll need to purchase an extra seat reservation next to your Pass (mostly High Speed, Night- and international trains). In our time table planner, you can have a look if your train requires a seat reservation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Zoe Steinkamp 

as no train on your route needs a reservation (unless you take a Nighttrain) you can take any train that brings you somehow to Austria :) as the Interrailpass is your ticket (just be sure you add each train to your traveldiary)

Due the strike German Rail advices to get seatreservations as the trains will be quite full and in case of to much passengers they will force all people without reservation to leave the train :)

The 400€fare is a ticket not a reservation and you still would have the same problem as with the Interrailpass :)

Hi Zoe, your Global Pass is your one ticket indeed. For some trains you'll need to purchase an extra seat reservation next to your Pass (mostly High Speed, Night- and international trains). In our time table planner, you can have a look if your train requires a seat reservation. 

Hello all ! If I understand correctly, when I want to travel from Budapest to Zürich in a train with no mandatory reservation, I can buy the 3€ seat reservation in combination with my Global Pass instead of the 80€ ticket? Would it change someting other than the price if I were to buy the full ticket ? This journey cannot be bought through the self-service system, I have to buy it through ÖBB, that’s why I’m a bit confused…

Thanks !

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello all ! If I understand correctly, when I want to travel from Budapest to Zürich in a train with no mandatory reservation, I can buy the 3€ seat reservation in combination with my Global Pass instead of the 80€ ticket? Would it change someting other than the price if I were to buy the full ticket ? This journey cannot be bought through the self-service system, I have to buy it through ÖBB, that’s why I’m a bit confused…

Thanks !

Yes you can reserve a seat at tickets.oebb.at when you select only a seat or seat reservation. It costs 3€.

How to get Reservations :) | Community (eurail.com) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From Bp to Zúri ist also quite possible to simply use OeBB=Austrian trains from Wien direct-or with a change in Tirol or so, to Swiss. These RailJet trains run ev hour till Innsbruck-in fact even via Germany but without a stop there and will not be much influenced by this strike. It may take a little longer as the route via/change in München. Use Oebb travelplanner scotty and divide up in segments!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

These RailJet trains run ev hour till Innsbruck-in fact even via Germany but without a stop there and will not be much influenced by this strike.

This strike was last year in August.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mcadv  The strike was back in summer 2021 now it´s silent as both unions have a deal :)

Nice to know as even Traffic Controller were called to strike it could happen that even the “Corridor Trains” Salzburg - Rosenheimer Kurve - Kufstein/Wörgl/Innsbruck couldn´t operate and will be diverted via Bischofshofen - Zell am See and Kitzbühl :)
This happend at one of the last strikes during one shift as the TrafficController was on strike.

The union is called Gewerkschaft Deutscher Lokführer (Union of German traindrivers) but in this union is open for any operational staff e.g. TrafficController, TrackMaintenance or the Conductors :)