How can you do a trip to Spain, Italy and the UK but only use 1 inbound and 1 outbound in France?

I was tempted by the marketing and totally failed to understand own country travel.

The objective was to take a 2 month global card and leave my French home to visit Switzerland, Italy, Spain and stop in at home, France,  for northern clothes to travel to the UK.  

I now believe that I can only do 2 days out of 60 in France and almost half of my preferred routes use France.  Logically because France is right in the centre of all the countries.

Am I correct in the residence travel rules?  They seem ridiculous.

Has anyone got a good plan for such a trip?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes only 2 days out of the 2 months can be done within France when you live in France

Yes you understand the rules correctly. The Interrailpass was invented to expolre foreign Countries there for it was more than 40 years not valid in the Country of Residence few years ago they luckily added atleast the Outbound and Inbound Journey for Globalpasses to travel on two days in your Country.

I live in Germany and have often the problem that i wanna change from north to south or east to west. Often i buy then cheap advance fares for the part in my Country or use Buses (Flixbus,Pinkbus,BlaBlaBus,Regiojet), Planes through it.

One option to get from Spain to Italy is the ferry (you get a discount) forexample Barcelona - Rome :)

And to get to the UK you may catch the Ferries from Netherlands or Belgium to the UK.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This rule is not ridiculous. Interrail is here for travelling, to discover europe. But not to cannibalize domestic offers.

To go to UK the reservation fees are overprized anyway so you wont pay too much more. let me propose you to change your travelroute: spain → italy → switzerland → uk

I dont think it is necessary to pick up warmer clothes. in summer its also not to cold in UK and it is proposed anyway to have different layers with you. if you go to a mountain in Switzerland, it will probably colder..

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just look at prices-even the normal ones. How much charges this state-run national society SNCF you if you did all these trips and how much you pay for pass.

In UK it is even so that a 4-daypass=cheapest cost less as a full price return IN the country from the north (Scotland) to LONdon.

The germans are very keen on people misusing the pass by wrongfully claiming they live out of DE and then use pass to travel a lot in it.

I am happy to live in a fairly small country-for some years it even allowed also unlimited travel (but only for trips to/from borders) inside. But that is no more.

This rule is not ridiculous. Interrail is here for travelling, to discover europe. But not to cannibalize domestic offers.

To go to UK the reservation fees are overprized anyway so you wont pay too much more. let me propose you to change your travelroute: spain → italy → switzerland → uk

I dont think it is necessary to pick up warmer clothes. in summer its also not to cold in UK and it is proposed anyway to have different layers with you. if you go to a mountain in Switzerland, it will probably colder..

Let me see if I am understanding these rules better.

Taking your suggestion Spain, Italy, Switzerland, UK

I use my 1 out and 1 in  leaving France to go to SPain,  and to comeback via eurostar to France from the UK.

I Would still need to travel through France between Spain and Italy, and potentially to get to the UK.

For example Figueres → Vintimille  (this route goes via Avignon and Nice on the eurail planner) 

Does that count as travel in my home country?

I am not sure how this presents itself as  trip, does the fact that I have to change train in France spoli my plan?

If so would I have to reserve via the SNCF a ticket to avignon, another to nice, and a 3rd to vintimille?  I tried doing it it it one shot and it doesn't like it.

Regarding getting to the UK:  I am imaging that a Geneva to  Paris, Paris to London isn’t going to work.  SO is a workaround to try and get to Brussels and do a eurostar train from there? That obviously has to go via France but I dont have to change trains.

Many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Taking the Eurostar from Brussels to London will count as both an inbound and outbound journey as you will travel through France.