Solved

How do I leave Greece with my Eurail pass?

• 18 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Can’t seem to find out a way to see what trains leave Greece.  I can only book the Athens to THESSALONIKI train, then nothing from Thessaloniki.

icon

Best answer by Leo 19 August 2021, 16:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Ted,

Unfortunately, all international routes to/from Greece are suspended until further notice, as you can read here: https://www.trainose.gr/en/passenger-activity/international-services/international-railway-services/. If you’d like to travel north or east, you can cross the border by bus (or other means of transportation) and then start using the Pass again. Otherwise, you may also consider taking a discounted/included ferry to Italy: https://www.eurail.com/en/deals/eurail-pass-benefits/benefits-greece.

I hope that helps!

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately Greece is not the best destination / starting point for EU/Inter-Rail travel.

To get out of this trap I would use either a ferry to Italy or busses to Macedonia - Serbia - Croatia.

The first one (ferry) is probably shorter in time.

In general, Balkans are the worst for the train travelers and the situation is unlikely to improve until the line via Macedonia-Serbia is upgraded (at least 10 years).

The third and a very scenic option: use the busses from Thessaloniki to Belgrade, stop in Skopje.

From Belgrade take the very scenic train trip to Bar, Montenegro.

The best is to take the night train - expect long delays and the best section of that rail trip will be in the morning.

From Bar take the ferry to Bari, Italy.

Must see, time-permitting:

• Water reservoir around Skopje, with monasteries
  • Tetovo “Sarena” Mosque (also known in the West as “Pasha’s Mosque”, but that name is technically not correct. Tetovo is a short day-trip from Skopje. This is arguably the most beautiful mosque in the world, we visited it recently.
  • The city of Prizren in Kosovo, best if you spend two nights there
  • The city of Kotor not far from Bar
  • The city of Dubrovnik, not far from Kotor.

You also can sail from Dubrovnik to Italy, Dubrovnik is probably the prettiest city in Adriatic.
    The bad news of course is that except of the Belgrade-Bar section this is all by bus.
    And in addition, I would use my railpass for the Belgrade-Bar only if it is a fixed, all day included railpass: the regular rail fare is very cheap.
    Do not be afraid to ask for the sleeper: the sleeping car surcharges are in 20 Euro region, the ticket itself is an other 25 or so Euro. Not worth the railpass-day!