Solved

How do I make a bicycle reservation with my Eurail pass?

• 5 February 2022
  • 3 replies

We are travelling from Holland to Vienna this summer to make a nice bicycle trip with our 2 daughters along the Danube to Budapest. 

It sounds great and easy to go with the eurrail pass. (Like the good old days) I’m just puzzled how and where I book our bicycles tickets in advance? We don’t want to spontaneously jump on a train and have to leave our bikes behind….

Tips and advise most welcome! 

mirjam

icon

Best answer by mcadv 6 February 2022, 07:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Note as you are from Netherlands you qualify for a Interrailpass (Europeans) and not for a Eurailpass (non Europeans) only difference is the Homecountryrule for Interrail :)

For Fasttrains (ICE,IC,EC) you usally have to reserve the places for bicyles :/
Till yet there is no good online booking page for this. Best is to visit a ticket office or phone a booking center of a Railcompany you intend to use :)

For example the Nightjet Amsterdam - Vienna have just 3 spots for bicyles

on Bahn.de you can click in the bottom you wanna have only connections that transport bicycles

When you finally found your trains i recommend to visit a ticket office of DB (DB Reisezentrum) or try it at NS International. Plan B call DB by phone. The price per bicycle is 8€ (domestic) 9€(International) per Journey (can be more than one train just have to be one booking)

Amsterdam - Vienna is possible in one day with 2 changes (direct Route with short transfertimes Hannover - Nürnberg or the non direct Route with atleast 20minutes transfertime via Hannover & Frankfurt)

Even one change routes are possible :)

non direct route with atleast 20min for change
direct Route with short changing times
this route works only on Friday and Saturday eve (train stops in Linz,Vienna too on the way to Budapest)
This connection Budapest to Amsterdam works just Fridays and Saturdays

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In NL beter dat NS-int vergeten.

Er is al enkele jaren een privaat treinboeking: treinreiswinkel. die zijn  meestal beter in staat dit soort vragen adekwaat te kunnen regelen. Ze verkopen ook IR-passen, naar keus nieuw als app of oud als papier. Het is dan natuurlijk wel aardig dat alles bij hun te bestellen. Wordt dan gratis thuisgestuurd.

Thanks a lot for the in-depth answer and all the information! Very useful! Mirjam