Solved

How to book Nightjet from Vienna to Munich?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hiya, we are planning to take the night jet from Venice to Munich on 31st May. I tried to book on Oebb but all the fare showing tickets not available. (I have tested with several dates) I also tried to book on Eurail reservations, there was no option of booking seats reservations either. Does the Venice to Munich nightjet open to Eurail pass holders? Thank you 🙂

icon

Best answer by Schelte 21 January 2023, 00:14

View original

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The usual surprise for OZzies: too early. Probably becse final timings have not yet been able to set-there may be chance on works somewhere along this 600+ KM of line or other things that impair trains on fixed rails, even more so as not all lines are supervised all hrs of night, whereas airplanes can simply fly a little onward or buses/cars have plenty of alt. roads.

ONly advice is wait&check every now and then-or sometimes big hurrahs go up in the sky in railwayforums when long awaited events finally happen. NO, these trains are not complete fully booked so long advance-except in some cases the nearly fought over very few private 1st cl. compartmts deluxe. I hope you have found the way to RES with passes as you state Oebb correctly?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply :) @mcadv 

I was worried if this nightjet doesn't apply to Eurail pass holders then I would have to readjust the plan so stay in Venice for another night which means I needed to confirm the booking of the accommodations too of either 1 night or 2 nights. This is so tricky :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Quite some day train alternatives exist too from Venice to Munich (about 7-8 h travel time). So in the unlikely case the Nightjet would be full, you’ll always have alternatives by daytrains.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Quite some day train alternatives exist too from Venice to Munich (about 7-8 h travel time). So in the unlikely case the Nightjet would be full, you’ll always have alternatives by daytrains.

That sounds like a better idea :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

And you’ll be able to see the Alps properly ;)

You can already reserve the day trains I think (3 EUR a seat) by ÖBB. I checked for the direct 13:35 EC 82 for 31/05

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

And you’ll be able to see the Alps properly ;)

You can already reserve the day trains I think (3 EUR a seat) by ÖBB. I checked for the direct 13:35 EC 82 for 31/05

@BrendanDB In this case I would not reserve directly via ÖBB.

@bleusquirrel Don’t forget to buy also the 10 EUR fee for Eurail user fee to use DB-ÖBB EC in Italy. You can buy it online via Eurail.com including the reservation for free (+2 EUR booking fee) or via Czech Railways cd.cz you get it without booking fee for about 10 EUR with the reservation for free. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@BrendanDB @Angelo Thanks for both of your advices :)

I’ve just readjusted the plan to stay in Venice for 2 nights and also found this day train from Venice to Munich which looks like a good alternative of the night jet. (see screenshot below)

I think I will book through the Eurail.com :) 

I still have one question...for the second train - Verona Port Nuova to Munich, it says you can buy a reservation if you like but it’s not required, however, I still want to make a seat reservation as it’s a long ride and I want to be able to choose the face-face duo. So my question is where can I book this reservation if I want to? and how much approximately would the additional supplement be? (oops just asked a second question😬)

Thank you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@BrendanDB @Angelo Thanks for both of your advices :)

I’ve just readjusted the plan to stay in Venice for 2 nights and also found this day train from Venice to Munich which looks like a good alternative of the night jet. (see screenshot below)

I think I will book through the Eurail.com :) 

I still have one question...for the second train - Verona Port Nuova to Munich, it says you can buy a reservation if you like but it’s not required, however, I still want to make a seat reservation as it’s a long ride and I want to be able to choose the face-face duo. So my question is where can I book this reservation if I want to? and how much approximately would the additional supplement be? (oops just asked a second question😬)

Thank you :)

For one question you only need to read my reply :)

Don’t forget to buy also the 10 EUR fee for Eurail user fee to use DB-ÖBB EC in Italy. You can buy it online via Eurail.com including the reservation for free (+2 EUR booking fee) or via Czech Railways cd.cz you get it without booking fee for about 10 EUR with the reservation for free.

If you buy this fee via DB or Trenitalia ticket office or CD.cz or Eurail.com (Eurail ask 2 EUR booking fee on top) online you get on top of this fee a reservation for free. If you book the fee via ÖBB you pay 3€ extra for the reservation. 

Via DB online (4,50 EUR per trip) you can choose your seat from a seat plan. Via CD.cz you can require a seat that you want. You need to know the carriage and seat number. 

Via Eurail.com you get a seat automatically via the system, you can’t choose a specific seat. 

For the Frecciarossa to Verona, you can also book the reservation via ÖBB (using one way trip and Eurail as discount, so you don’t pay the Eurail booking fee), or you use the direct service Venice-Munich EC82 starting at 13:35 from Venezia S.Lucia

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

The usual surprise for OZzies: too early.

Not true. The NightJet from Venice to München on the 31st of May is already on sale through ÖBB. 

Be sure to check to München Ost, and to indicate Interrail as a discount card (and not click on book seat reservations only, but a regular ticket with Interrail as a discount card) - as explained in the instructions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thanks for the answer @Angelo  :)

I tested on DB online as I would really want to choose seats from a seating plan. 

However, this is the page it came up. (didn't have a seat plan 😔)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

thanks for the answer @Angelo  :)

I tested on DB online as I would really want to choose seats from a seating plan. 

On the next screen that appears after clicking "proceed" you usually (but not always) get a link to open a seat plan and change the seats you've been assigned.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not true. The NightJet from Venice to München on the 31st of May is already on sale through ÖBB. 

Be sure to check to München Ost, and to indicate Interrail as a discount card (and not click on book seat reservations only, but a regular ticket with Interrail as a discount card) - as explained in the instructions.

wow, thanks for this @Schelte  :)

From what I can see on my laptop, it doesn't show the €13:60 option,  the couchette and sleeper upgrades. I somehow only had 2 options on the page. 🤔

I also couldn't see where to indicate Interail/Eurail as a discount card :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

wow, thanks for this @Schelte  :)

From what I can see on my laptop, it doesn't show the €13:60 option,  the couchette and sleeper upgrades. I somehow only had 2 options on the page. 🤔

Click on the "CHANGE" text under "1×adult". Then you can add more adults and for each of the adults individually add "Interrail/Eurail - global pass" as discounts. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Click on the "CHANGE" text under "1×adult". Then you can add more adults and for each of the adults individually add "Interrail/Eurail - global pass" as discounts. 

found it, thanks 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thanks for the answer @Angelo  :)

On the next screen that appears after clicking "proceed" you usually (but not always) get a link to open a seat plan and change the seats you've been assigned.

I didn't get a link for a seat plan after clicking the “Proceed” button, I reckon it could be the stage “check & book) after the payment stage. (I could be completely wrong😶)

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I didn't get a link for a seat plan after clicking the “Proceed” button, I reckon it could be the stage “check & book) after the payment stage. (I could be completely wrong😶)

If it doesn't appear it is not available on that specific train. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't available on those trains as they might partially be run by the Austrian railways too. 

If it is possible, it appears as shown below (and never after payment)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

found it, thanks 😊

@Schelte Hiya, can I ask another question please? 

on the reservation page of Oebb, there are two ticket options showing…

The top one seems to have better conditions regarding cancelation while the bottom one is cancellation not possible, but why is the bottom one with no cancellation a lot more expensive? 🤔

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

That is because the bottom one is the "offer price" (sparpreis) and Eurail passes discounts are not applied to that price. If you'd travel without a pass the top one would likely be considerably more expensive and the sparpreis would be the same.

Just book the Comfort ticket, and ignore the sparpreis option.

By the way, as the arrival in München is pretty early if you're going to reserve sleepers or couchettes, you could book the sleeper cabins (for the same price) all the way to Stuttgart - that'll give you 2.5 hours of extra sleep. You would then have to return 2 hours by ICE though (but those don't require compulsory reservation). At least that's what I would probably do 😁

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Schelte  ah that makes sense now haha. I didn’t know what Sparschiene means before) 

I don’t think we can be bothered to move carriage in between and the train does arrive super early and we can’t check into our hotel until 3pm probably. Maybe it’s better to stay in Venice for an extra night and take the day train on 1st June. 😬

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It's a pretty scenic route and I love Venice too. Honestly would recommend it if that's possible.  Nightjets are not very comfortable unless you're in a hurry, and private cabins cost nearly as much as a hotel in Venice.

Or spend the night somewhere en route (though only Verona and Innsbruck/Salzburg are possibly interesting, and that is relatively close to each end)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, that’s what I thought, it’d work out similar cost for staying an extra night in Venice or take the nightjet. And we would be exhausted the next day when we arrive in Munich homeless with luggages. 😛

Is Oebb still the best place to book seat reservations for the Venice-Munich day trains? :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

In most larger stations you always have convenient luggage lockers to stow your stuff temporarily away. (Best bring a bit of cash/coins for that).

For day trains, Venice-Munich I refer to @Angelo 's advice. Book them via the Czech Railway, most cost efficient. Since there's a weird fee of €10 to cross the Brenner pass/Alps.

(This is a very good case of how absurd and complex international European trains can be btw to find the best ticket/seat reservation. 😅 But it's a golden tip! ) 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much for your golden tip haha I wouldn’t have ever thought about booking the Venice to Munich train on Czech Railway 😆 

Yes it’s indeed very complicated of European trains bookings/reservations, I am so overwhelmed each day planing our trip. Thanks god I found this forum and so many lovely people help me and answering my a million questions 😝 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@BrendanDB I wouldn’t say it is a weird fee… this trains are run by ÖBB/DB as „private business“ in Italy without any subsidies. So the other option instead of 10€ extra for rail passes would be that they don’t accept them at all between Brennero and other Italian destinations. so I think the 10€ extra are still the better option 

@Schelte: I wouldn’t say the nighttrains are so bad… you Save Travel time and also in hotels you don’t have always super comfy beds (too hard, too soft, thin walls to neighbors etc). But on this route I would also recommend a daytime train as the views are quite nice 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@BrendanDB I wouldn’t say it is a weird fee… this trains are run by ÖBB/DB as „private business“ in Italy without any subsidies. So the other option instead of 10€ extra for rail passes would be that they don’t accept them at all between Brennero and other Italian destinations. so I think the 10€ extra are still the better option 

As far as I know most long distance trains in Germany are run (and priced) commercially, so I think this fee is more a consequence of how Eurail distributes income - also considering they are covered by the German Rail Pass. Plus, as Freccia's reservations cost €10 these would be very attractive for domestic trips in Italy too.

@Schelte: I wouldn’t say the nighttrains are so bad… you Save Travel time and also in hotels you don’t have always super comfy beds (too hard, too soft, thin walls to neighbors etc). But on this route I would also recommend a daytime train as the views are quite nice 

I don't say they are bad, though I did think that a few months ago when my sleeper carriage was broken and I was given a seat in the open-plan seating car as alternative. 

Many people don't sleep well in night trains, and even less if you have to leave the train at 5:50 AM. In hotels where you pay €180 (the cost of a private double sleeper) for a double room you generally do sleep reasonably well.

I'm very much a fan of night trains (particularly due to their efficiency - travelling while you sleep), but they do have limitations.