Solved

How to book the night train from Budapest to cluj napoca

• 25 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone. I want to reserve a train from Cluj Napoca to Budapest but I’m unable to even add it to the cart because it says:

“Prices unavailable

No price results were found for this connection. It is possible that all pass holder seats are sold out. Please try searching for another connection or check 'More information' and try other ways to book this seat reservation. If no pass holder seats are available anymore you need to buy a separate full fare ticket to board.”

Is this really fully booked? I get the feeling that it is due to that Interrail doesnt have access to the reservation system of Hungary. However, when I go to the site of the Hungarian reservation system ( https://jegy.mav.hu/jegy/szolgaltatas-valasztas?step=3 ) it is expensive and I don’t know how to enter that I have an interrail pass. How should I fix this? Or is it not doable? On the interrail site (https://www.interrail.eu/nl/plan-your-trip/reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations#instructions ) it states that there are further instructions for how to do it on the end of the page, but then at the end of the page, Hungary is not in the list of countries with instructions.

thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 27 March 2023, 23:33

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is the date and departure time?

may, 25th and 22:45 :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are trains from Cluj to Budapest at 21:00 and at 2:48 (in the night), not at 22:45.

The one at 21:00 has seats and sleepers (no couchettes) can be booked via tickets.oebb.at. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only” but add the Interrail/Eurail discount and the select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. A seat is €3 and a sleeper is available from €28. The departure time is displayed as 20:00 but that's wrong, it's 21:00 local time.

Thank you for your reply. THis is the train I wanted to take, and I also found it on the Hungarian ticket site: 

Is it possible to book this one and let it be covered by Interrail? As it is in the railplanner app too

thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OK, so that's the other direction.

You can book it via tickets.oebb.at. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only” but add the Interrail/Eurail discount and the select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. A seat is €3 and a sleeper is available from €28. Here it also displays the incorrect time in Romania. It's 8:19 local time.

thank you! i am doubting if i shouldnt take another train on that day, so not the night train but a normal train. Interrail says that i still have to do a seat reservation, but the ticket site of the railways  says the tickets arent available. Do you happen to know why that is? thanks in advance:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i am doubting if i shouldnt take another train on that day, so not the night train but a normal train. Interrail says that i still have to do a seat reservation, but the ticket site of the railways  says the tickets arent available. Do you happen to know why that is? thanks in advance:)

Always mention date and departure time if you have a question about reservations (and route, but we got that cleared up.)

I checked on tickets.oebb.at. There are 2 direct trains Budapest-Cluj: at 7:40 and 13:40. The 7:40 can't be booked there but the 13:40 can. Use "Seat reservation only” for that train. If you want to use the early train, just book at a ticket office, e.g. when you arrive in Budapest, or elsewhere (doesn't need to be in Hungary).

Thanks again for your help:) At the OEBB site I see this screen, so as you can see the tickets are unavailable. Where did you get to see the tickets for the 13:40 train? About getting the tickets at a ticket office: you say it doesn’t have to be Hungary, does that mean you can get the tickets at every (big) European train station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks again for your help:) At the OEBB site I see this screen, so as you can see the tickets are unavailable. Where did you get to see the tickets for the 13:40 train?

It looks like you've added a discount and chosen "One-way tickets and day tickets”. For the 13:40 train, do not use a discount and select "Seat reservations only”.

About getting the tickets at a ticket office: you say it doesn’t have to be Hungary, does that mean you can get the tickets at every (big) European train station?

At stations where they sell international reservations, but not in all countries. I'd expect it e.g. in Germany, Austria, Czechia. Misschien zelfs in Nederland (ook telefonisch) :)