Solved

how to book - works on the line

• 24 January 2022
  • 14 replies

Badge

I wasn’t able to book a nightjet ticket for July on the Amsterdam to Vienna route via ÖBB as there weren’t any routes showing in my search. So I asked ÖBB’s customer services why this was, and got a reply today:

“The reason why the Nightjet from Amsterdam to Vienna is not bookable is due to construction works. The timetable still has to be worked out for this. Therefore, please keep trying to book the desired journey.”

Does anyone know about this, and when the timetable is likely to be “worked out”? I am a bit confused about the advice to keep trying! I’ve got a whole family holiday resting on very specific travel requirements, so would appreciate a bit of help understanding if I should just find an alternative if if it’s likely I’ll be able to book this route in a few months. I could ask ÖBB but the last reply took 11 days so thought it would be faster here.  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 24 January 2022, 13:52

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For which date would you like to book and from which station? From Amsterdam?

Badge

Either 5th or 6th July

Badge

From Düsseldorf to Vienna

Badge

Thanks in advance for any help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed, the night train to Vienna doesn't show up yet, not even from Cologne or Frankfurt. That means nobody can book at this moment. In addition, Tuesday and Wednesday evening are not the busiest times so I wouldn't worry too much and just try every once in a while.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NOTE; these passes only give around 15 eur discount for whatever you want to book on this NJ-so it may work out cheaper to simply book a fixed advance ticket-when sales become available. Check if they do @mail service when bookings open.

If these ´very special´wishes mean the one and only private sleeper-very expensive-this seems to be snapped up mostly directly after bookings open-often by agents that resell these. You are likely german as start from DUS-there are several german rail-fan-user-fora that are often much more knowledgeable for very specific wishes re trains. Like ice-treff or drehscheibe-online.de

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NOTE; these passes only give around 15 eur discount for whatever you want to book on this NJ-so it may work out cheaper to simply book a fixed advance ticket-when sales become available. Check if they do @mail service when bookings open.

If these ´very special´wishes mean the one and only private sleeper-very expensive-this seems to be snapped up mostly directly after bookings open-often by agents that resell these.

I've often booked this sleeper way after it opened for booking so I'm not sure where you get this from.

In addition, the real discount depends on what fares are available at the moment of booking and that's unlikely to be "around 15 EUR” all the time.

Badge

Thanks for the answers, makes me less anxious now. No, I'm not booking fancy first class cabins (i wish!). I've booked a holiday house in south of France for the Saturday and want to take 3 different t trans, including 2 sleepers, to arrive there over the course of the week.  So my special requirements are more to do with dates, and the places i want to visit before starting in France.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If these ´very special´wishes mean the one and only private sleeper-very expensive-this seems to be snapped up mostly directly after bookings open-often by agents that resell these. You are likely german as start from DUS-there are several german rail-fan-user-fora that are often much more knowledgeable for very specific wishes re trains. Like ice-treff or drehscheibe-online.de

@mcadv  But it is not every time 15€ discount. Some times more discount. The reservation fare starts at 14€ for a seat to about 160€ for a deluxe sleeper cabin. (it could cost a bit more for long international journeys like Nightjet to or from Amsterdam, Bruxelles/Brussel or Paris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bluemanontelly https://rail.cc/interrail-night-train/amsterdam-vienna-oebb-nightjet-nj40421/629 The reservation fee´s you can expect per person :/

As you travel with your family :) You may check the offer Private Couchette Compartment “Privatabteil Liegewagen” from 199€ you get a private Couchette for 3 adults + up to 3 kids :) (max. 6 persons with max. 3adults) https://www.nightjet.com/en/komfortkategorien/ganzes-abteil-buchen often cheaper as to buy reservation for all :) 

Badge

It looks like this will be more expensive than i expected! Interrail pass plus train reservations and/or couchette = ouch! But I'll do it, we said we wouldn't fly this year. Getting the ferry to UK at Easter too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks like this will be more expensive than i expected! Interrail pass plus train reservations and/or couchette = ouch! But I'll do it, we said we wouldn't fly this year. Getting the ferry to UK at Easter too.

If you're buying an Interrail for just one return trip, then do compare with buying normal tickets. Especially when booking in advance, that may be cheaper.

Badge

I want to travel nightjet to Vienna, then nightjet to Milan, then trains to Cannes area. Then in the way back, train to Paris, train to Germany. So it's several journeys overall. I'll still compare, but as i can't book everything yet is kind of impossible!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I want to travel nightjet to Vienna, then nightjet to Milan, then trains to Cannes area. Then in the way back, train to Paris, train to Germany. So it's several journeys overall. I'll still compare, but as i can't book everything yet is kind of impossible!

You’ll have a rough idea, I think. For trains you can't book yet, try a date somewhat earlier, i.e. for Italy a date before 12 June.

It's still only 4 travel days, if I interpret correctly, so the most expensive Interrail per travel day. A lot will also depend on what children have to pay when using normal tickets. That varies per country and/or operator.