Solved

How to get reservations travelling in Poland

• 11 March 2023
  • 8 replies

We’re trying to book train reservations for travel in Poland.  The planner states reservations are compulsory, but there seems no way of booking them.  We’ve looked at both the DB and  PKP websites, but neither gives the possibility of buying reservations.   Which leaves us wondering what to do. 

We’re planning to travel from Berlin to Warsaw, having traveled from Brussels earlier in the day. No reservation is necessary for the leg between Berlin and Frankfurt Oder, however  reservations are necessary once we enter Poland.  We could buy train tickets, but that’s silly already having an Interrail ticket.  Can anyone offer advice about what we do? 

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by Hektor 11 March 2023, 22:35

View original

8 replies

Of course there's a possibility to buy reservations for travel in Poland with https://www.intercity.pl/en/ - just choose Interrail as discount from the drop-down menu (visible when choosing the train). Here's a screenshot of the relevant page:

For the cross border EC, you may reserve at a ticket counter (with DB, there's a special mandatory passholder reservation that will cost 4€). 

Thank you Hektor, I am checking this out.  Currently the PKP website appears to have crashed.  Constantly get “Czas serwisowy.” when I search train times.  Will try tomorrow.

Hello Hektor,

I’ve had another go, but do not get offered the option with Interrail or Eurorail.  The only option offered when traveling from Frankfurt Oder (Germany) to Warsaw is Youth/Junior.  See screen shot below:

If I  try a journey from stations within Poland, then I get the Interrail option.  So I am still stuck getting necessary reservation which not available via DB or PKP online.   Ideas or help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello Hektor,

I’ve had another go, but do not get offered the option with Interrail or Eurorail.  The only option offered when traveling from Frankfurt Oder (Germany) to Warsaw is Youth/Junior. 

f I  try a journey from stations within Poland, then I get the Interrail option.

That's why Hektor wrote "in Poland”

ISo I am still stuck getting necessary reservation which not available via DB or PKP online.   Ideas or help will be appreciated.

This reservation can sometimes be booked online via Interrail, but then only as a paper reservation with an extra postage fee on top of the reservation and Interrail's booking fee. Additionally, I've read several stories about reservations that are stuck for weeks at the UK customs, so that's another reason not to order a paper reservation.

For Germany-Poland, electronic reservations are still not available online. You can book online from Rzepin (several people do that, should not be a problem) or call DB and pick up your reservation at a DB ticket machine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am aiming to book a couchette or sleeper within Poland through the intercity.pl website. Hektor's explanation is perfectly clear and applicable when it comes to seats. But for couchettes and sleepers the interrail option does not appear in the list. This means I would have to buy both the bed and the ticket. 

Is this a general rule in Poland, or was I unlucky to only select couchettes and sleepers that were sold-out to interrail users?

I tried the same for a sleeper train in Italy and there I could book one and only pay a surcharge for the bed, but not for the ticket. 

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That website is quite limited for pass reservations: only domestic trains, only seats, only 1 person at a time.

Badge

So even almost a week in advance, it’s not possible to buy on IR page.

And on PL web site there is still no option in menu for me as pass-holder.

So basically I have chance only at the counter?

Can I do workaround by buying only for PL part of journey, thus it will be not across border - is it legal option how to solve this situation?

in worst case, can I board the train without reservation, just ticket? - (will change seats or stay in aisle).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As far as I know, your only options are:

1. Book at a Polish ticket office.
  2. Book online to the last station in Poland.