Solved

How to manage trips when 2/3 legs need reservations?

• 22 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have booked for 6 people to go from Venice to Monterosso on 11th October 22.  There’s three legs -

Venice - Florence (requires seat reservation)

Florence - Viareggio (doesn’t require seat reservation)

Viareggio - Monterosso (requires seat reservation)

I was sent tickets via email for the 2 legs that require seat reservations but nothing for the second leg from Florence to Viareggio.  I don’t understand how I can board a train without a ticket?  This is very different to Australia and I’m so confused.  

Thanks for your help in advance.

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 22 August 2022, 12:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If it helps:

For  all  trains  including those needing reservations, the Global pass Is your ticket not the reservation document. Reservation documents and your pass need to be shown together on trains with mandatory reservations, but on all other trains you add them to your trip and then before boarding simply add to your pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It would be very much the same as in the Syd oir MEL local/suburban trains when you use a weekly or daily pass-that is the ticket to show when there are checks. And I guess even down yundah tin OZzieland hey are now so advanced that they can handle tickets on the fone. In fact NSW-state rail was notorious backward for many years in ticketing etc. But has caught up since.

In fact also that last leg has plenty of local trains without any extra to pay- one mostly changes in Pisa for the 5 earth tourist mega-draw (cinque terre)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You are not sent tickets, but seat reservations. (At least I hope so as you only need seat reservations if you use a Eurail pass)

To travel with a train you always need a ticket. Then, on some trains you also need a seat reservation. On some train you can make an optional seat reservation if you think that the train will be crowded. 

The Eurail pass is your ticket and the reservations are separate from your ticket.

Do you have a mobile pass or a paper pass?

Badge +1

Thanks so much. I have a mobile pass.  Well at least i think i do.  It’s attached to my rail planner app i think.  I will activate it once i have my travel itinerary sorted :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The advice from the experienced travellers is to not activate your pass in advance. Especially not if you have a flexi pass. 

You can make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future to see that it works and then deactivate the pass immediately. 

Then you should wait with activating the pass until just before boarding the first train of your travel. The reason being that you only can deactivate the pass before the first day of the validity. If something unexpected happens on your departure day that forces you to change your travel plans then you will loose a travel day.