Solved

ICE fully booked, reservation not mandatory (but recommended), can I still travel?

I want to travel from Amsterdam to Basel with ICE 105 on Monday the 18th July at 08:08. The rail planner app states “seat reservation recommendation” but checking oebb.at and bahn.com it seems that the train is fully booked. As the app says that reservations are recommended but not mandatory, I believe I should be able to travel, but I don’t want to gamble. Can someone confirm or deny? I’m fine with moving around in the train if my seat gets taken.

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Angelo 10 July 2022, 11:35

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If the train gets to full, sometimes all people without an reservation have to leave the train for security reasons. But normally you can stand in the train or go from one place to the other. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@jolof 

I just checked at bahn.com and there are seats available at 8.08 from Amsterdam to Basel. Select "Seat only" . Reservation costs 4.50 EUR

Thanks for the replies.

@AnnaB Well, so it seems to me as well but when trying to proceed with the seat reservation I get the following message “We are unable to offer you any reservations on the service you have chosen. Please select another service.” (see attached image). Is there another way I could try to create the reservation to not have to gamble and potentially have to leave the train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Have you created an account at bahn.com and used that?

@AnnaB Yes I have, is this an issue?

Edit: It does not seem to make a difference. Are you able to book a seat?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Jag kollar om jag kan boka. I så fall fixar jag bokningen och mailar dig biljetterna så får du Swisha mig pengar.

@AnnaB Det vore fantastiskt, tack för hjälpen! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Tyvärr så är tåget fullt. Det verkade som att jag inte gick tillräckligt långt i bokningen förra gången.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@jolof Om du åker med samma tåg från Amsterdam, men byter i Köln så finns det plats. Problemet verkar inte vara att tåget är fullt från Amsterdam utan att det blir fullt senare. Kolla på det. Ankomst till Basel 15.36.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Fel av mig. Det verkar inte fungera heller. 

Thanks for checking @AnnaB but as you say it seems to be full. I can get on the EC 9 train from Köln onwards and be guaranteed a seat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ok. På tåget 6.38 från Amsterdam finns iallafall plats.

However, I’d like to have some insight of the magnitude of the risk of going with an ICE train without seat reservation, I do not want to risk getting thrown off the train. 

The InterRail page seems pretty clear on that it would be fine, but would be great to back this up with some first hand experiences if possible. 

Reservations on regular ICE high-speed trains are optional

Reservations are compulsory on the ICE from Frankfurt to Paris, Munich to Paris, and Stuttgart to Paris.

Thanks,

Ok. På tåget 6.38 från Amsterdam finns iallafall plats.

Thanks, I booked this as a backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for checking @AnnaB but as you say it seems to be full. I can get on the EC 9 train from Köln onwards and be guaranteed a seat.

EC9 would have a panoramic carriage for 1st Class Passengers and would go through the RhineValley.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB and ÖBB have started to add a note on some fully booked trains that only persons with reservations may travel on those trains.

This in fact making reservations mandatory, even if the general rule is that reservations are optional on those trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB and ÖBB have started to add a note on some fully booked trains that only persons with reservations may travel on those trains.

This in fact making reservations mandatory, even if the general rule is that reservations are optional on those trains.

Can you send me a reference to this type of message @AnnaB? Is this a general message or something they put out for specific (over-booked) trains? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here is the note on the train from Prague to München on the 29th of July. The text in German says that there is no guarantee that you can board the train.

The text in English only says that a reservation is recommended.