Solved

Inbound journey can I change trains in my home country?

Hello, I have a global pass and I’m going home on Sunday from Bratislava to Torino (Italy). It is quite a long journey, so it obviously include changes. I am an Italian resident, and I would need to change trains twice in Italy (Verona and Milano), but in the app it still shows as one journey Bratislava-Torino. Can I do that or can I only travel to Verona and then have to pay for the tickets from there? I tried to contact Trenitalia (Italian railway company) but they say only ticket offices can give me that information, and I don’t have the chance to get to one until I’m actually back to Italy. I will do that when I need to change in Verona, but I was wondering if someone had a similar experience or can clarify this for me. Thank you very much in advance 💗

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 10 November 2022, 12:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello, I have a global pass and I’m going home on Sunday from Bratislava to Torino (Italy). It is quite a long journey, so it obviously include changes. I am an Italian resident, and I would need to change trains twice in Italy (Verona and Milano), but in the app it still shows as one journey Bratislava-Torino. Can I do that

Yes you can. You can use as many trans as you like. That includes trains in your country of residence on an inbound/outbound journey. Additionally, it doesn't matter how many journeys you enter in the app to cover the trains you want to use.

The thing is, on the way to Switzerland on my outbound journey I got a fine because the inspector said I was not allowed to board a national train. I had entered Torino-Milano and Milano-Basel as two separate journeys so I do hope that in this case it would be okay but yeah I have no desire to get two fines this time. 

Badge +5

You were unlikely to have been fined! You probably used a Eurocity train between Milan and the Swiss border. These trains have a supplement and you should have reserved in advance. Most likely the inspector charged you the supplement and gave you a telling off!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

SO; if you again take this route via the Swiss (as such not needed, can also try if spare seats on the overnite Wien->MIlano) you again have to cough up for the extra supplmt+RES if you do not want to change in Lugano or Chiasso at the last to a TreNord regionale. But this NiteJet also needs to RES.

Was in B-lava on 1/11-a holiday and it was dreary and nearly all closed. 

You were unlikely to have been fined! You probably used a Eurocity train between Milan and the Swiss border. These trains have a supplement and you should have reserved in advance. Most likely the inspector charged you the supplement and gave you a telling off!

No, it was a regional train, without reservation. He said his interpretation of the terms and condition was I could take any train once I had crossed the border. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The thing is, on the way to Switzerland on my outbound journey I got a fine because the inspector said I was not allowed to board a national train. I had entered Torino-Milano and Milano-Basel as two separate journeys so I do hope that in this case it would be okay but yeah I have no desire to get two fines this time. 

What exact train was that? In case it was a Frecce: did you have a reservation?

If it was really a fine (do you still have the paper you received?), you can claim it back from customer service. Include all details: date, route, train number, departure time etc.

What exact train was that? In case it was a Frecce: did you have a reservation?

If it was really fine (do you still have the paper you received?), you can claim it back from customer service. Include all details: date, route, train number, departure time etc.

No, regional train. I will when I go home because I did try and explain to the inspector, he agreed that what I was saying made sense (thank you!) but still gave me a fine hahahah. 

SO; if you again take this route via the Swiss (as such not needed, can also try if spare seats on the overnite Wien->MIlano) you again have to cough up for the extra supplmt+RES if you do not want to change in Lugano or Chiasso at the last to a TreNord regionale. But this NiteJet also needs to RES.

Was in B-lava on 1/11-a holiday and it was dreary and nearly all closed. 

No, it would be with no reservations needed Bratislava-Vienna Vienna-Innsbruck Innsbruck-Verona Verona-Milano Milano-Torino all by day. 

Badge +5

We’ve asked for exact details of the trains three times now. Please respond so we can help all travellers. Vague comments don’t help!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @vitbat 

As @rvdborgt mentioned, you can take as many trains in your country on your inbound/outbound journey, as far it is made in one day of travel. Could you please contact customer service regarding the fine you got? 

I wish you a lovely day!