Solved

Intercity falls out, next train has no first class…..

• 17 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

IC 312 Budapest-Graz was broken up in Szentgotthárd. Everyone who wanted to travel into Austria had not only to change, but also to wait for more than a hour, (instead ÖBB could have set-in a remplacement-train, but deceided it due to costs-reduction). But that’s not all, the regio-train stops much more often was ab Feldbach fully crouwded. So I’ve paid for the day without getting what I’ve paid. And Interrail refuses to give any compensation for, this is horrible. EURail Group shouldn’t handle with people who have paid more for extra comfort, should they?

The next train should have been published in the teain-planner: RE 4721 Szentgotthárd-Graz Hbf (dep 13:04, Arrival at Graz: 14:53 has been published without time from Szentgohhárd (that name is weitten with Accent-aigu!). If someone looks at the EUrail-App, he/she thinks to wait untol 15:09 for the next train. Please add the times of the missing-trains of the line Graz-Fehring-Szentgotthárd, thank you.

icon

Best answer by ralderton 17 March 2023, 15:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The Eurail planner is one of the least reliable planners around for a few reasons and often fails to show local trains (and sometimes even the express and Inter City trains. That is why many travellers add several operator apps to their phone as their sites are usually much easier and complete for immediate alternative trains.

If you find yourself in an unplanned station there are often trains that you see in the local noticeboards and displays, and if these are not in the rail planner you simply add them to your trip manually, operate the slider and board (as long as mandatory reservations do not apply).

If you left a train needing a reservation because it broke down your existing reservation should be shown to the alternative train manager and he should allow you to travel for free. (You will still need to create a ticket in your pass for the new train).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Don't use the Railplanner for detailed planning and don't use the Railplanner as a reliable source during your travel. The planner is not online and doesn’t always show all trains. 

To be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Badge

The Railplanner should be reliable, because thavwllers must put the train into the pass. Hand made is nice, but if the made-kilometers with them don’t be counted into the statistics, what would be the meanth of the Interrail-app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Delays happen. You are entitled to compensation from Eurail if you are delayed by 60 minutes or more.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/delay-compensation

I don’t think you would get compensation for having to travel in second class, but if you want you can contact the operator of the delayed train directly through their customer services. Show them your ticket and reservation.

It’s a long (long) time ago, but when I was on a delayed Hungarian train, I filled in a form on arrival in Zurich and had a cheque in GBP waiting on my doormat when I got home two weeks later. I was very impressed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As the user of a first class pass I sympathise when we have to travel on a train with no first class, but I do admit to preferring to be making progress rather than wait for the next train with a First Class section.

It is a sad state of affairs isn’t it when operators insist on running trains without a first class section.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It is a sad state of affairs isn’t it when operators insist on running trains without a first class section.

Well, get used to it because first class provision is being removed from many services in a number of countries, including yours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

instead ÖBB could have set-in a remplacement-train, but deceided it due to costs-reduction

Not really due to cost reduction, but because trains are not everywhere waiting to make a replacement.

Keep in mind that in Austria local trains have only 2nd class and that the line between the border of hungury to Graz has no electirfication, so no railjet can run.

If you don't get first class you need to ask for money back from the train company in this case ÖBB.

The railplanner app can't be uptodate because it works offline. For live information use the website/app of the train company you travel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Well, get used to it because first class provision is being removed from many services in a number of countries, including yours.

Surely most of us who buy a first class pass realises that most, if not all, local and most regional trains around Europe only have second class. I buy first class for comfort and space on the long journeys. You will never convince me that any operator will change their express and high speed trains to a single First Class equivalent offer. Even operators with high quality second class offers cannot match the 2+1 seating and legroom of their first class offer.

Even low cost airlines are now returning to a mixed economy/premium offer (albeit sold as extra legroom, priority boarding, flexibility to change, included luggage or other bundles.)