Italian and German train tickets

• 1 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 13 replies

hi, 

i am planning an upcoming trip and have some basic questions

1. For the longer trips, e.g. Como to Venice and Verona to Munich, does it make sense to buy the tickets ahead? not sure if prices will go up nearing to my travels in Dec
  2. for short trips like Milan to Como, Venice to Verona, do i also have to buy the ticks like now? or can i wait till closer to the travelling dates?

am not in EU, so not so sure about ticket prices movements

and am travelling with 2 kids, so with COVID and all, just wanted to make sure there are certainty before i go ahead with these bookings

any advice pertaining to this will be much appreciated

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 1 October 2022, 08:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are you planning to buy a Eurail pass? In that case the price is the same whenever you buy it. Any reservations that you need also have the same price whenever you buy them.

If you are planning to buy ordinary tickets the price, at least for long distance trains, will be more expensive closer to the departure of the train.

You need to do some calculation and see if a global pass or tickets are cheaper.

With Eurail children under 12 travel for free and only pay for reservations. If you buy tickets children at the age of 4 or older have to pay a children's price in Italy. In Germany children under 15 travel for free.

Badge +1

i do not intend to buy Eurail as i feel that is more expensive than buying individual tickets

do you know if the short distance journeys that has multiple options daily will have an increase in prices nearer to travel dates?

e.g. milan to como is now Euro 15

i know that Bahn prices remain quite stable but not sure about italian trains

thks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

i do not intend to buy Eurail as i feel that is more expensive than buying individual tickets

A feeling is no replacement for a calculation. 

do you know if the short distance journeys that has multiple options daily will have an increase in prices nearer to travel dates?

e.g. milan to como is now Euro 15

Regional train prices stay constant. Long distance prices increase gradually. This is also true for Germany (if that is what you mean by "Bahn”).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Mil-Com by LOCAL treni is much cheaper-less as 10€ and run ev 30 mins-you may need some help to figure out the machine, but if chosen right one, it also includes local metro/tram in Mialno. LOCAl treni will hardly ever have lower prices if bought before. BUT they may also charge more for the kids-all that math you have to do yourself.

Mil->Vnz has either Frecce by TrenItalia-book online and yes, most often a little cheaper as on the day or Italo=also hi-speed, same principle, often a little cheaper. DO carefully note if they also start from Centrale, as Milano has loads of stazione some not that easy interconnected.

Also be aware that IT is hit by waves of strikes-since a few weeks and these are often not well announced or may confuse the turistici. This makes buying long before also risky.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don't know what you mean by stable, but the ticket price at Deutsche Bahn from Verona to Munich in mid November is about 35 EUR and mid next week it is about 78 EUR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I don't know what you mean by stable, but the ticket price at Deutsche Bahn from Verona to Munich in mid November is about 35 EUR and mid next week it is about 78 EUR.

Calculating train prices without a pass is quite a challenge, not least because pre-purchasing cheap fares is often accompanied by no refunds or changes (or big charges) and flexible fares are basically extortionate.

IMO The question of stability of prices only links to the flexible fares as saver prices are limited and often dynamic - if they are selling quickly the price goes up.

It is further complicated in many countries that have different fares depending on routing and type of train, so a regional train taking 3 hours can be half the price of the high speed option at peak time.

I would always remind those seeking the answer to pass or no pass that your pass is effectively a fully flexible ticket usable at all times and on all trains operated by partner operators. There are of course reservation costs on some trains but in the main these are still considerably less than a turn up and go fare.

To those planning pre-purchased tickets just read the procession of posts of travellers with passes who have had delays, missed connections and usually been able to change their travels with help from the experts in the community.