Solved

Milan-> Wien OBB night train It can be booked with the Interrail?

Good afternoon, we are a couple with a 9 year old girl, we have always been on the road but this time we would like to do the interrail
The itinerary is from Turin (Italy) where we live, we would like to get a 5 day pass
1- Turin -> Milan-> Wien OBB night train
2- Wien  -> Prague
3- Prague → Berlin
4- Berlin->Ringscheim/europa park
5- Ringscheim/europa park -> Milan-> Turin
1st question: unfortunately the rail planner app didn't show me the night train  available before, but then today I checked on OBB and following your tutorial I tried to make a reservation for the three-bed sleeper on the Milan-Vienna train of 10 August or of August 11th the figure is around €289, is this correct with Interrail? Or am I paying full fare?
2nd question: we would like to spend the last two days at Europa park on the park's website it says that a Frankfurt Milan ECE151 train which stops at Ringscheim/europa park and connects the park to Milan in 6 hours would obviously be convenient for me, but still on the rail planner app I can't find this train and for the return it gives me a stopover in Basel. Where could I look for this train and its related reservation?
Thank you for any help you can give me and if you think the itinerary is good

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 1 May 2024, 18:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can book the night train on nightjet.com for example (add Interrail as a discount). Since Nightjet introduced dynamic prices for reservations 289€ seems normal (although very expensive!).

EDIT: I checked and yes it'd be 289.70€... :/

The EC doesn't run direct to Milan since the Gotthard base tunnel is closed. You must change in Basel or Zurich at least. Itinerary easily doable reservation-free. For example:

- RE Ringsheim - Basel Bad Bf 08:52 - 10:03

- S6 Basel Bad Bf - Basel SBB 10:19 - 10:25 (or any other train)

- IC21 Basel SBB - Lugano 11:03 - 14:48 -> scenic!

- hourly RE Lugano - Milano Centrale 15:02 - 16:17

- Freciarossa to Turin (13€) or RV

Simply be prepared for the German delays and have some margin.

Good afternoon, we are a couple with a 9 year old girl, we have always been on the road but this time we would like to do the interrail
The itinerary is from Turin (Italy) where we live, we would like to get a 5 day pass
2- Wien  -> Prague
3- Prague → Berlin
1st question: unfortunately the rail planner app didn't show me the night train  available before, but then today I checked on OBB and following your tutorial I tried to make a reservation for the three-bed sleeper on the Milan-Vienna train of 10 August or of August 11th the figure is around €289, is this correct with Interrail? Or am I paying full fare?
2nd question: we would like to spend the last two days at Europa park on the park's website it says that a Frankfurt Milan ECE151 train which stops at Ringscheim/europa park and connects the park to Milan in 6 hours would obviously be convenient for me, but still on the rail planner app I can't find this train and for the return it gives me a stopover in Basel. Where could I look for this train and its related reservation?

The price for the Nightjet to Wien is 289,70 € (10.) or 279,70 € (11.) with Interrail. That’s the correct price. 

The direct train from Ringsheim to Milano is just running from September 2nd; before this date, you need to change a few times.

Thanks for the replies, for the OBB night train then I will book it before the price goes up again.
For Ringsheim I was really hoping not to change so many trains especially on the last day of the holiday.
I found an alternative early in the morning towards Freiburg (Breisgau) which goes directly to Zurich and then Milan. There are three changes but better than 5 or 6, the only thing that in some places makes me have to reserve a seat but then N/A but I Does it seem strange that they can't be booked so many months in advance? Maybe there are still problems on the rail planner site?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You cannot book anything on the app. It redirects you elsewhere.

Morning trains should be punctual but otherwise most ICEs regularly terminate in Basel Bad Bf or Basel SBB since they accumulate so much delay in Germany. Count with some margin in the first place.

The ICE271 towards Switzerland can be reserved through OBB (3€) but early in the morning it should be pretty empty. Sit wherever you want.

The EC to Milan and the Frecciarossa to Turin should be available on Rail Europe: 13€ reservation incl. seat selection.

But with a few changes extra you could save money: Swiss connections are straightforward, don’t worry about that point.

EDIT: I don’t know your exact travel dates but note that the vital Rhine mainline is closed between Rastatt and Baden-Baden from 10th August to 30th August. Replacement buses run. It will take a while to reach Europapark but you won’t be in a rush I presume :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

2- Wien  -> Prague
3- Prague → Berlin

Ja,das mit den Verspätungen ist im Moment sehr extrem. Ich persönlich habe ich in letzten 36h insgesamt MINDESTENS 4h Verspätung bekommen. 

Good evening travellers, honestly all these changes make this stage unthinkable for me. I've done my research and leaving early I could do:

Ringsheim h6.11->Freiburg h6.44

Freiburg h8.03- >Zurich h10.04 ICE271

Zurich h10.33am->  Milan h13.50

from Milan then trains leave every hour for Turin. But the fact remains that it would be 4 trains. And I don't know what time the first bus leaves from Rust for Ringsheim so given the time maybe a taxi would be necessary. And from what you say, there are many delays. I guess I'll leave it alone. Just like I decided to leave aside going to Lake Constance because it required too many changes. I would like to make a final stop dedicated to fun so perhaps I will opt for Monaco and Legoland. I definitely need to reschedule.

My travel dates are from August 10th to the 24th

Here is the timetable for the bus as PDF: https://assets.static-bahn.de/dam/jcr:076d8b8a-d95e-4faf-9531-b562508042a7/SBG_7231_7200-Ringsheim-Rust_2024_Final.pdf

First connection to Basel is at 5.04 in the morning. But there are much better connections. E.g. at 10.32 you may connect by bus to a direct train to Basel. Would mean 19.06 in Torino (bypassing Milano).

BTW: It may be better not to use Ringsheim station.

You do find all timetables for bus and train by using https://int.bahn.de/en. Departure station is Europa Park, Rust or type in your hotel.

(Going to Lake Constanze from there requires one change of trains.)