Solved

Mobile Pass - Inbound night train problem

• 20 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi everyone, 

we are planning to travel from Germany (Frankfurt) to Sweden (Stockholm). We bought the mobile pass and now face the same issue that many seem to have: our night train from Stockholm arrives on 03.01. in Hamburg. Afterwards the app doesn’t allow us to add a train to Frankfurt because “our inbound journey took place on the 2nd”. And while we cross the border to Germany somewhen on the 3rd, the last stop of the train before Hamburg is in Denmark at around 11pm. Therefore the trick to split the journey doesn’t work. Attached screenshots of our connection. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this? Many thanks I advance, 

Tim

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 20 December 2022, 10:02

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hmmm, indeed weird. Your effective border crossing takes places after midnight. So technically you will be making your trip back in Germany on one day. If I’m not mistaken, technically taking a night train only consumes a travel for the day you’re train’s departure date is scheduled.

Something for customer support I guess, best ask your question here https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Best not activate your travel day before you actually see your train before boarding, you never know if some last minute issue comes up. You can only delete travel days before midnight the actual travel day.

If a timely solution won’t pop up in time, I would just explain the situation to the ticket inspector and activate your ticket to Ørestad, and activate it back in Hamburg to not waste a travel day. I presume you have a reservation any how for that train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@BrendanDB

This is a known problem with an easy solution. You need to manually split the journey from Stockholm to Hamburg in 2 parts. One part from Stockholm to a station in Denmark that the train passes after midnight and a second part from that station to Hamburg. Then you will get your inbound travel day in Germany on the correct date and you can continue travelling in Germany. The train always stops at the border so you just enter the border station.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The border station in Denmark is Padborg, where the train stops around 02.52. I checked this with Snälltåget earlier this year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If needed, add the night train (in 2 parts) manually.

This is a known issue, described here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/interrail-mobile-pass/mobile-pass-faq/how-can-i-travel-back-home-by-night-train

Thank you all so much for the swift help! 

BrendanDB: yes, we have a reservation. :) 

AnnaB: that sounds great, however I’m not able to add the connection Stockholm - Padborg / Padborg - Hamburg to my journey. The respective night train doesn’t show up in the results (It should be at 16:23). I hope that is just me being unable to use the system correctly, though. What do I miss? 

Many thanks, 

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can always add your trip manually if it wouldn’t be on it :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

AnnaB: that sounds great, however I’m not able to add the connection Stockholm - Padborg / Padborg - Hamburg to my journey. The respective night train doesn’t show up in the results (It should be at 16:23). I hope that is just me being unable to use the system correctly, though. What do I miss?

Just add manual journeys for both Stockholm-Padborg and Padborg-Hamburg if it doesn't stop in Padborg. In the app, search for a journey, scroll down in the results and then tap on "Add it manually” ("Füge sie manuell hinzu”).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Theycallmetim There is no official stop in Padborg. That’s why you don’t see it in the app. Just add the 2 journeys manuallt.   It is only a stop for customs and border control.

You guys are my heroes, thanks so much for the swift help! 

I wasn’t aware that there is an option to manually add trains, this is super useful. 

Best, 

Tim