Solved

My trip to Venice: seat reservation. Unclear if it is required and it doe not show up in the App.

Dear Intervall team,

I have a question concerning my trip to Venice. I will take the train the 14th of April from Berlin to Venice. Departure time from Berlin is 7:37h. Arrival time is 23h50 in St. Lucia (Venice). The Interrail homepage says that I have to book reservations for this trip. I called the Deutsche Bahn and asked them. They informed me that for none of these trains a reservation is actually necessary, but optional. I would be greatful if you could answer me regarding this matter, as the trip moves closer.

Also, unfortunately the trip does not appear in the Application. So I ask myself how am I supposed to add this trip when its not in the App? (I have a mobile pass). In general, the planning with your homepage is really complicated as the informations concerning the trips are often not correct. Up to date information is only on the homepage of the deutsche bahn. Unfortunately, as a customer it is also not possible to talk to someone of your team via phone in a more direct way. This would really help the matter. 

Also, I don’t understand how I can book my ticket with the mobile pass. Is it via the Botton “add a journey”? The travel day I have already added. 

Tank in advance,

best

Astou

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 March 2022, 09:35

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservation is optional indeed, for all 3 trains. For the train Munich - Verona, there is a special 10€ supplement, which the Interrail planner doesn't handle well, as you've noticed: it is displayed as a mandatory reservation. You can buy it in advance via ÖBB but you can also buy it on the train from the conductor without any extra fee. And some don't ask for it :)

You can buy a reservation via DB for 4€ in total if you enter the complete journey (click on "Nur Sitzplatz” / "Seat only”).

As to the timetable: don't use the rail planner app to plan. It doesn't get enough updates to be reliable. National planners and apps are more up to date. For international planning, the DB planner or DB Navigator app is a good choice. For domestic journeys in Italy, use Trenitalia.

If a train doesn't appear in the rail planner app, first check if there are app updates and if not, you can always add a train manually. Scroll to the bottom of the planner results and then tap on "Add it manually”.

In the app, you don't "book a journey” (there no booking involved), you just add it to My Trip and before you board the train, you add it to My Pass. Do check the mobile pass FAQ.

It's a good idea to activate a travel day only when you're sure you're going to use it. I normally do it on the day itself or maybe 1 day in advance. If your plans change and you forget to cancel the travel day, then you lose it.

Dear Intervall community,

I need some urgent help with my trip tomorrow. So I was ready to add the journey to the mobile pass after activation. But its not possible as the app says that my “pass isn’t valid in some of these countries. You need to edit this journey so it’s within the countries covered by your pass, or buy a separate ticket.” I don’t understand this. 

Our trip starts at 7h37 from Berlin via Munich to Venezia S Lucia and we arrive at 23h50. Germany and Italy should be well covered by the pass.

What should I do? Anyone has ideas? As the trip starts tomorrow morning I’d really appreciate the help!

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I need some urgent help with my trip tomorrow. So I was ready to add the journey to the mobile pass after activation. But its not possible as the app says that my “pass isn’t valid in some of these countries. You need to edit this journey so it’s within the countries covered by your pass, or buy a separate ticket.” I don’t understand this. 

Our trip starts at 7h37 from Berlin via Munich to Venezia S Lucia and we arrive at 23h50. Germany and Italy should be well covered by the pass.

1. Do you have a global pass?
  2. If so, do you have any inbound/outbound journeys left? You can see that under My Pass. If it says there “0/2 used”, then you have none left.
  3. If you have no inbound/outbound journeys left, please check in My Trip on which dates they are used. There's an icon "Out/In” to the right of a date when an inbound/outbound journey is used.
  4. For any date where you would not expect an inbound/outbound journey to be used, please post the details of the journey(s) on that travel day (showing the trains).

I have an Interrail Italy Pass (3 days within one month) and have not used a journey. Since the app has some serious technical problems I decided to add the trip manually although I don’t know whether this will be accepted by the train personnel. I could not add the transfers and just added all the train numbers in the details

Here is the connection:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Edit:

An Interrail Italy pass is not valid in Germany and Austria.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Given that you'll need extra tickets Berlin - Brenner, and no advance fares are available anymore, the best is probably to exchange your pass for a 4-day global pass.

The procedure is explained here. Remove all journeys from the pass and cancel any travel day.

I don’t understand this. And how am I suppose to arrive in Italy if not with a mobile pass? The interrail pass is about travelling to classical Italian cities….????

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t understand this. And how am I suppose to arrive in Italy if not with a mobile pass? The interrail pass is about travelling to classical Italian cities….????

You have a one country pas for Italy, which is only valid in Italy. Not in Germany or Austria.

So that means for the one country pass, it only makes sense to buy such a pass when you live in the same country?

When I bought the Italy pass I entered the destination in the planner to find the right pass and I was proposed to buy a one country pass (Italy).

Also I thought it would be the right pass since I am only visiting one destination...since I am based in Germany/Berlin.

So that means I have to buy a global pass now and refund the Italy pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So that means for the one country pass, it only makes sense to buy such a pass when you live in the same country?

No, you can’t use Interrail in your country of residence (with the exception of 2 travel days on a global pass).

When I bought the Italy pass I entered the destination in the planner to find the right pass and I was proposed to buy a one country pass (Italy).

I can't comment - I've never used any planner to choose a pass.

Also I thought it would be the right pass since I am only visiting one destination...since I am based in Germany/Berlin.

So that means I have to buy a global pass now and refund the Italy pass?

Basically, yes.

ok but I still don’t understand: what then is the Italy mobile pass for? What is the difference to the global pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ok but I still don’t understand: what then is the Italy mobile pass for? What is the difference to the global pass?

Mobile = on your mobile phone, as opposed to a paper pass.

Global pass = valid in all countries, as opposed to a one country pass.

Both global and one country passes are available on paper and as a mobile pass.

thank you. This difference is clear to me. What is not clear for me is what are the terms of use for the Italy pass? When does it makes sense to buy such a pass? And when does it make sense to buy a global pass. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What is not clear for me is what are the terms of use for the Italy pass? When does it makes sense to buy such a pass? And when does it make sense to buy a global pass. Thanks

Some people fly or use a ferry or whatever to another country and then travel around there. Also, if you live close to the border, a one country pass can make sense, since you then only need extra tickets for the short distance to the border.

A global pass usually makes sense once you travel in multiple countries - such as in your case.

ok thank you. How do I deactivate my pass? Do I have to delete it on the phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

ok thank you. How do I deactivate my pass? Do I have to delete it on the phone?

1. Go to My Trip and remove all journeys from the pass.
  2. Go to My Pass and cancel all active travel days (the last one first). To cancel a travel day, hold it and then tap on Cancel travel day.