Solved

Name on reservation; 1 ticket for 2 people correct? Nighttrain Berlin - Budapest-Keleti

• 16 January 2022
  • 11 replies

Hi all, my boyfriend and I made a reservation for a nighttrain from Berlin to Budapest-Keleti. When I download the ticket it is one ticket which says '’02 seats'’ but only my name is on it. Is it correct that you get 1 ticket for 2 people? We never made a reservation before so I want to double check everything. Btw: we checked the invoice and we did pay for the both of us. Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 16 January 2022, 21:55

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey, 

yeah, everything should be fine and usually they don’t even watch the name on the reservation. As long as you have a valid reservation for the nighttrain, you don’t have to worry :)

Hey, 

yeah, everything should be fine and usually they don’t even watch the name on the reservation. As long as you have a valid reservation for the nighttrain, you don’t have to worry :)

Thank you so much! :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Milja Wijker 

Here a collection how reservations could look like :) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1217776558397224&type=3

On online ticket is usually just one name on the ticket by standard the owner of the account that was used to book the ticket (there is a option within the booking process to say i book this ticket for someoneelse) So don´t worry :) all will be fine :) If you booked a sleeper or Couchette the steward maybe collect your ticket + reservation(in very rare cases even the Passport) he will present then the tickets to the different conductors on the Route :) For example in case of the Berlin to Budapest Nighttrain (a German,Polish,Czech,Slovakian and finally a Hungarian conductor :D )

This helped a lot, thanks!! Do you know why they collect your ticket + reservation? Just wondering because we did book a couchette! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This helped a lot, thanks!! Do you know why they collect your ticket + reservation? Just wondering because we did book a couchette! 

The train Berlin-Budapest is passing through different countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia) where everywhere conductors check the ticket again… in seat carriage this means they will wake you up… in couchette the conductor responsible for the couchette will take the ticket and show it to the ticket conductors from the different railway companies. Meaning that you can sleep without being disturbed every 2-3 hours by a control ;-)

The train Berlin-Budapest is passing through different countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia) where everywhere conductors check the ticket again… in seat carriage this means they will wake you up… in couchette the conductor responsible for the couchette will take the ticket and show it to the ticket conductors from the different railway companies. Meaning that you can sleep without being disturbed every 2-3 hours by a control ;-)

Oh wow, okay. Thanks for this information! It brings me to another question… our ticket is on our phone in the interrail app (the QR code which you show to the conductor). So, I think we need to print them out right? We allready know that we need to print out the reservation for nighttrains but thought we show our tickets once from our phone. Sorry for all these questions, we are fully new to this :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unfortunately, the railways haven't come up yet with a solution for the mobile Interrail on night trains. In some night trains, such as most ÖBB Nightjet trains, there's only one ticket check, so they don't need to check tickets every time you cross a border. In other night trains, such as the one you booked (as far as I know), ticket checks are done by every railway company separately. This means that you'll need to show the mobile Interrail to the German, Polish, Czech, Slovak and Hungarian conductors, some of which will be during the night. A paper print of the mobile Interrail's barcode is not valid.

@Nanja, is there any progress in finding a solution for this?

Unfortunately, the railways haven't come up yet with a solution for the mobile Interrail on night trains. In some night trains, such as most ÖBB Nightjet trains, there's only one ticket check, so they don't need to check tickets every time you cross a border. In other night trains, such as the one you booked (as far as I know), ticket checks are done by every railway company separately. This means that you'll need to show the mobile Interrail to the German, Polish, Czech, Slovak and Hungarian conductors, some of which will be during the night. A paper print of the mobile Interrail's barcode is not valid.

@Nanja, is there any progress in finding a solution for this?

Okay, thanks for the explanation! We just keep in mind that we probably need to be awake at some moments. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Last time i had a clever Coach steward and he just made a photo of the Qr Code and then the details page with his own phone :) and nobody of us was woken up due the Night :) Just the first German Conductor (still awake) & last conductor in Hungary (after our breakfast was served) came to us to check the passes once more :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Rvdborgt, thanks for checking in on this matter. A few months ago we started looking into the ticket inspection process of some carriers regarding night trains and mpass check and we have some good news to share on this topic. UIC night train working group came back to us on this topic, acknowledging the problem. Last December they had a meeting with CD, PKP, ZSSK, MAV and OBB, and agreed that only the departure and destination railway would check the mobile Pass during inspection, meaning only one check in the morning and one check in the evening. They are working on a newsletter containing all the regulations on ticket inspection of the mobile Pass and other mobile tickets on night trains. A final version will be discussed and distributed in March. 

Rvdborgt, thanks for checking in on this matter. A few months ago we started looking into the ticket inspection process of some carriers regarding night trains and mpass check and we have some good news to share on this topic. UIC night train working group came back to us on this topic, acknowledging the problem. Last December they had a meeting with CD, PKP, ZSSK, MAV and OBB, and agreed that only the departure and destination railway would check the mobile Pass during inspection, meaning only one check in the morning and one check in the evening. They are working on a newsletter containing all the regulations on ticket inspection of the mobile Pass and other mobile tickets on night trains. A final version will be discussed and distributed in March. 

This is great news! :)