Solved

Narvik to Stockholm - Sleeper Cost with Interail Pass

• 3 January 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 12 replies

Hi. This is all very confusing. Can anyone tell me what the likely cost will be of booking a 2 bed sleeper from Narvik to Stockholm using an Interail pass. On the Interail site it states 50 Euros per person whilst on the Swedish railway site it’s more likely to be around £200. Just need to decide whether it’s more cost effective to do this leg in one hit or take an overnight stop in Boden and Kramfors. We are not travelling until early July so can’t book until at least early April.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 3 January 2024, 11:46

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I believe neither prices are right. I've just checked and I find 954 SEK (or 74£) for 2 people. As far as I remember this night train is one of the cheap ones!

Interrail website sometimes lists incorrect prices and then it gets corrected right before payment.

On SJ make sure to add Interrail as a discount and select private sleeper compartment -> you'll get 3 berth numbers at checkout as you have the full cabin. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for that. Just a bit worried that we’d have a third person in the compartment with us. Any idea what the price of a 2 Berth Sleeper is with a private WC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Don't worry, you won't have to share. It is clearly written at checkout that you have berths 11, 12, 13 (as examples).

This night train requires a 1st class pass for the ensuite compartments AFAIK.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks ever so much for clarifying. Think we,ll break the journey. Thanks again

I am planning on riding this train, departing Narvik 31-Aug. I note that there has been a derailment which is why bookings aren’t available very far out at the moment. I thought I might find out how much it might cost us - or more to the point, how much we would save with our 1st class Eurail Scandinavia pass. I was surprised when trying to reserve a private compartment on May-12 for the 2 of us that there is no difference in the fare!  Both with and without the pass show on sj.se as 4510 SEK.  The fares certainly drop for seats and 2nd class couchettes, but not for 1st class private cabin.

Am I doing something wrong?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am planning on riding this train, departing Narvik 31-Aug. I note that there has been a derailment which is why bookings aren’t available very far out at the moment. I thought I might find out how much it might cost us - or more to the point, how much we would save with our 1st class Eurail Scandinavia pass. I was surprised when trying to reserve a private compartment on May-12 for the 2 of us that there is no difference in the fare!  Both with and without the pass show on sj.se as 4510 SEK.  The fares certainly drop for seats and 2nd class couchettes, but not for 1st class private cabin.

Vy decided not to allow the sleeper compartments with shower/wc ("1st class” on this train) to be booked with a pass.

You can however book a sleeper compartment without shower/wc ("2nd class” on this train) with a pass, including a private compartment for 2 persons. Price is SEK 1010 in total for 2 persons (in train 92 on 1 May). Note that this is not a couchette, which is still a different comfort class.

By the way, 12 May is not a god day to test. It's the Sunday after a long weekend and many trains are already fully booked.

Thanks.  Very disappointing to hear that. We bought 1st class passes mostly so we could save some money on this train. So now it’s a decision between 4510 SEK and 1010 SEK. Don’t need to make that decision until bookings open, which might not be until July.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Here's information about the VY night train. Unfortunately only in Swedish, so you'll need Google translate or similar program. 

Personally I don't think that paying 3500 SEK extra for breakfast and a 1st class compartment is worth the money. For me the VY 2nd class sleeper has been fine.

https://www.vy.se/kundservice/vanliga-fragor/vanliga-fragor-om-tag/biljetter-andringar-och-avbokning#item-441c6b99-c9e8-44da-8dd9-dedfec324441

Agree. It is a lot of extra money. I need to check with my wife about not having a toilet in the cabin, and having to go out into the corridoor. Thanks for that link, it is useful