Night train Budapest Zurich : Sleepers reservations not possible from abroad for Interrail travelers

• 21 May 2023
  • 5 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 1 reply

Hello,

It is not possible to buy sleepers (double) online - or any other way from abroad - for the night train Budapest Zurich for interrail travelers. I faced this problem for several trip attempts...

Practically : the option “Sleepers” is not available online on any website (nor at railway station in Zurich, or elsewhere).

I called directly MAV : they confirmed that spaces were available. Full Tickets could be bought but NOT only the sleepers reservation for interrail travelers from abroad. They said there was just no option but to buy these reservations from a railway station within Hungary. Quite a heavy restriction !

Is it some kind of discrimination ?

Thank you

JJM

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It should be possible on tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets. The Austrian Railways website works in many countries (+ this night train crosses Austria anyway).

What is your travel date ?

Edit : for a random July date I'm able to book a 2-people sleeper for 158€ (79€ per person)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, 

there are often some limits for Interrail/Eurail users.

Did you try to book it via ÖBB? Mayve they are able to sell it. Using the one way option (not: seat only/reservation) and Interrail/Eurail as discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

there are often some limits for Interrail/Eurail users.

Not for this night train AFAIK.

Thank you for your reply and help.

Indeed, i had checked through the ÖBB website, which is definitely the best for these bookings. 

The puzzling point is that for the day i was interested in, i was confirmed by the MAV info number that space was available , but not sellable without beeing in the country with Interrail discount. It is true that for further dates, the option is available. There is a mismatch somewhere… The possible explanation is that only a limited quota of spaces are let to be sold online with interrail discounts…

Thanks again for your answers and help :-)

JJM

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The puzzling point is that for the day i was interested in, i was confirmed by the MAV info number that space was available , but not sellable without beeing in the country with Interrail discount.

I doubt if that's correct.

It is true that for further dates, the option is available. There is a mismatch somewhere… The possible explanation is that only a limited quota of spaces are let to be sold online with interrail discounts…

I doubt it. Please tell us your travel date so we can check.