Solved

Nightjet Brussels - Wien price

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

For the Brussels - Vienna direct connection.

Is there always a discount if you book together with an Interrail pass?
Because if I check a few dates on the OBB website, and look with and without an interrail pass, the price doesn't change at all.

If I understand the prices correctly via the following link:  https://www.nightjet.com/nl/buchung/tarifinformationen/interrail-eurail-paesse
, then I arrive at a reservation price of 14 + 144 + 20 euros = 178 euros.
But I see a lot of prices of 229.90 euros for a single deluxe sleeper cabin.

Who can give me more information about this?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by MartinM 5 August 2021, 11:04

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Here you can find a manual how to reserve Nightjets via oebb.at (Even if you just wanna reserve you have to use the ticket option and not the seat only option :) )

Here you can check the reservation fee´s you can expect note the train is very popular and doesn´t operate daily :) sometimes it´s better to take first a IC to Amsterdam and catch the Nightjet from Amsterdam :) as the Route from Amsterdam is operated daily :) and you can take from there even a coaches to Innsbruck :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question.

Is there a fixed discount / fixed price to travel with the nightjet if you have an interrail global pass ?

This for Brussels - Vienna.

I see a lot of prices of 229.90 euros, for a single deluxe sleeping cabin.

Via the reservation service I arrive at a price of 164 euros + 2 euros booking costs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@seewulf

In the meantime I managed to find the price of 164 euros for this connection.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

164 euro seems to be normal price for deluxe sleeper:

Standard interrail reservation price is 14 euro + 150 euro for the deluxe sleeper.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

164 euro seems to be normal price for deluxe sleeper:

Standard interrail reservation price is 14 euro + 150 euro for the deluxe sleeper.

Now I finally managed to get the price of 164 euros.
I probably did something small that prevented me from getting this award.

I think it's a very good price, so I definitely want to try it someday.
Too bad I don't get any benefit with my 1st class interrail global pass, or is there still a discount with a 1st class global pass?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@seewulf 

@MartinM 

Is it true that you can only travel by Nightjet from Brussels to Vienna, and not to Innsbruck?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, there is no nightjet from Innsbruck to Brussels anymore (shortage of carriages, too long train length?).

No, you don’t get any discount with a 1st class global pass.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

And if you depart from Amsterdam or Cologne, in the direction of Vienna, you pay 20 euros less.

It is also indicated that there is a surcharge from Brussels. Why a surcharge from Brussels!

https://www.nightjet.com/en/buchung/tarifinformationen/interrail-eurail-paesse

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

And if you depart from Amsterdam or Cologne, in the direction of Vienna, you pay 20 euros less.

It is also indicated that there is a surcharge from Brussels. Why a surcharge from Brussels!

Well, only two ideas:

• Brussels is the EU capital → many EU employees who can afford also +20 euro easily
  • higher TAC (track access charge) in Belgium (but didn’t check that)
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Well, only two ideas:

• Brussels is the EU capital → many EU employees who can afford also +20 euro easily

I notice that the price from Aachen also remains unchanged, namely 164 euros for the same train that departs from Brussels.

I don't know if there are viable connections from Brussels with ICE or IC, to get on the Nightjet from Germany, which makes the price less than when departing from Brussels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Well, only two ideas:

Track access in Belgium for passenger trains is indeed quite expensive. Additionally, ÖBB uses NMBS/SNCB to transport this train in Belgium and they aren't cheap either. That was one of the reasons the former night trains to Warsaw and Vienna and also Paris - Brussels - Berlin/Hamburg disappeared from Belgium about 15 years ago.