Solved

Outbound journey gets split in two connections, first one is entirely within my country.

• 13 December 2022
  • 5 replies

My problem is that I want to use a night train for my outbound journey. This train starts before midnight and I have to switch trains the next morning still within my own country and then take another train to leave the country. The app splits this into two parts (most likely because the first train starts on a different day). Can I still make it my outbound trip or will it not accept it because the first train is entirely within my country?

If you search the same connection in the opposite direction both trains start on the same day and it shows up as just one trip.

If it doesn't accept it my current solution would be to use a different train traveling the same direction and the switching to the night train once it is past midnight but that would obviously make it more complicated and add some extra cost.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 13 December 2022, 21:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Such a trip will use both your outbound and your inbound travel day.

You can only board trains in your country of residence on a maximum of 2 travel days (00.00-23.59 CET).

You either need to board the night train after midnight and pay for the ticket to travel to the night train or pay for the ticket from where the night train arrives to the border. You need to check what is cheaper. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What route are you taking the night train and where are you continuing the next day?

Maybe the Community has some good suggestions for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What route are you taking the night train and where are you continuing the next day?

Maybe the Community has some good suggestions for you.

@Space Architect  Please shar more details to get an advise what to do. 

@AnnaB I assume Hamburg or Berlin to Karlsruhe and then a ICE/TGV to France :) 

I'm taking the train from Offenburg to Hamburg and then from Hamburg to Kopenhagen. I've found the train on the DB App so I can book a ticket for the same train from Offenburg to Karlsruhe (this is the first stop after midnight) and if I then look up the trip from Karlsruhe to Kopenhagen it shows it as one in the Interrail app. This would only cost me about 10€. So I guess while it's not ideal it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I'm taking the train from Offenburg to Hamburg and then from Hamburg to Kopenhagen. I've found the train on the DB App so I can book a ticket for the same train from Offenburg to Karlsruhe (this is the first stop after midnight) and if I then look up the trip from Karlsruhe to Kopenhagen it shows it as one in the Interrail app. This would only cost me about 10€. So I guess while it's not ideal it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

That sounds like a good solution. You can then also move your start date 1 day and make your trip 1 day longer :)