Solved

Problem finding trips from Milano to Tirano

 Hi. We are a family of four from Sweden that will go backpacking by train this summer. We all have Interrailcard.

I´m trying to find schedules and tickets for the train from Milano to Tirano on the 21JULY2022 but can’t find any? Why cant I see any departures on trendnord or interrail websites or in the App?

Looking forward to your help.

With regard Dennis  

icon

Best answer by Angelo 15 May 2022, 21:27

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Does anyone know what exactly hapened with train line after 26th june?

I sent an e-mail to Trenitalia and they just  answered nothing is wrong. 

There are engineering works in the summer. Your pass will be valid on the replacement buses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can find on Trenitalia.com website the timetable only for a train to Colico and from there a train replacement bus to Sondrio and from there a second train replacement bus to Tirano. But only at 18:20. This is only in June and August, in September (10th) all trains are back in the timetable. 

It looks like the lines is closed in summer due to works on the line and the final bus replacement timetable is not jet online. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello. I heve the same problem trying to find a train from Milan to Tirano.

The only way available is train plus Bus in Colico.

But..I’m afraid 8 min connection won’t be enough to take the train outsite the station in Colico, isn’t it?

That’s more than enough time for a small station like Colico.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The rail planner app is the last place to look for reliable schedules. It is offline and only updated about once per month. National websites are more reliable and up to date. For international planning, the DB planner or DB Navigator app is good (updated twice per week).

For Italy, the best source is www.trenitalia.com. In addition, the summer timetable in Italy has not been published completely yet (the Italians are always late with that) and it seems that data is largely still missing from 26 June onwards. You can get an idea though by looking at dates before 26 June on the same day of the week. But do verify the times once the summer timetable is available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes they are two different stations. Tirano FS and Tirano RhB. But they are in the same place but not the same building. I have no idea where the bus will stop. Normally in front of the station. 

Here the Bus timetable: Tabellare_Allegato1-avv_091_2022_Tirano-Colico-new.pdf (azureedge.net)

Here the map of the stops for rail replacement bus. Bus sostitutivi: fermate e informazioni sui bus sostitutivi del treno | Trenord - for Tirano it is not in front of the station but you take the underway at the FS (Italian) station and go to the other side of the railway line, there is a Bus Station. 

@Angelo

When I look on google maps for the different stations in Tirano, I see the following.

The Tirano train station, where the Milan train normally arrives, is a yellow building.
And the Tirano train station, where the regional trains and the Bernina express leave, is the white building.

Is this correct ?

yes correct.

@rvdborgt thanks for tour help!
Does anyone know what exactly hapened with train line after 26th june?

I sent an e-mail to Trenitalia and they just  answered nothing is wrong. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

If the bus in Tirano stops at the street: Via calcagno 19, then according to google maps it is 180 meters to the RhB Tirano station, I see.

I'm going to wait for the train company customer service to say where the replacement bus will stop in Tirano.

When I look at the address and street view of the bus station in Colico via the link you forwarded in this topic, for which many thanks, this does not seem to be correct.
You can barely see anything on streetview.

If you then calculate the route between Colico FS and the link of the bus station, this is 550 meters!

So I'm curious what Trenord customer service will say regarding my questions about the replacement bus.

@Angelo 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Angelo 

Are there several train stations in Tirano?

Specifically : The arrival of the train/bus from Milan / Colico, is that at a different station than where the Bernina express and regional trains to Chur leave?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes they are two different stations. Tirano FS and Tirano RhB. But they are in the same place but not the same building. I have no idea where the bus will stop. Normally in front of the station. 

Here the Bus timetable: Tabellare_Allegato1-avv_091_2022_Tirano-Colico-new.pdf (azureedge.net)

Here the map of the stops for rail replacement bus. Bus sostitutivi: fermate e informazioni sui bus sostitutivi del treno | Trenord - for Tirano it is not in front of the station but you take the underway at the FS (Italian) station and go to the other side of the railway line, there is a Bus Station. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You have to get the underpass of the Italian train station to get on the opposite side of the station, where the replacement bus starts. 

@Angelo 

Which station are you talking about?

The stations Tirano FS and Tirano RhB are 50 meters apart. So these can, I think, just be reached via the square of the municipality of Tirano.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You have to get the underpass of the Italian train station to get on the opposite side of the station, where the replacement bus starts. 

@Angelo

The stations Tirano FS and Tirano RhB are 50 meters apart. So these can, I think, just be reached via the square of the municipality of Tirano.

I'm talking of Tirano FS, which has a underpass to get to the platform 2 and 3 and also to the bus station of the town on the other side. The replacement bus will not start in front of Tirano FS but at the bus station acording to the PDF that I linked before. But don't think that it is complicated to find. It is a small village with a small station. Everithing will work.

Guys find this in trenord site 

https://www.trenord.it/en/news/trenord-informs/notices/milano-lecco-colico-sondrio-tirano-changes-from-26-june-to-9-september/

but the replacement bus service busperego  has written 

http://www.busperego.com/news.php?id=16470

“Lastly, we would like to point out that always on Sunday 26/06 the trains from Tirano to Colico will be canceled and there will be replacement bus services. Info on the trenord website.”

Anyone know if the replacement is for Sunday only and weekday are normal? 

Badge +1

I think it's all July/Aug m' on the Trenord app (which was updated yesterday) it now shows the train+bus when you search Milano to tirano

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Guys find this in trenord site 

https://www.trenord.it/en/news/trenord-informs/notices/milano-lecco-colico-sondrio-tirano-changes-from-26-june-to-9-september/

but the replacement bus service busperego  has written 

http://www.busperego.com/news.php?id=16470

“Lastly, we would like to point out that always on Sunday 26/06 the trains from Tirano to Colico will be canceled and there will be replacement bus services. Info on the trenord website.”

Anyone know if the replacement is for Sunday only and weekday are normal? 

I think they used Google Translator and want to write from Sunday 26/06. The line is 100% closed due to works.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Angelo

I'm talking of Tirano FS, which has a underpass to get to the platform 2 and 3 and also to the bus station of the town on the other side. The replacement bus will not start in front of Tirano FS but at the bus station acording to the PDF that I linked before. But don't think that it is complicated to find. It is a small village with a small station. Everithing will work.

@Angelo

I'm leaving Milan for Tirano, so the question is where exactly the bus will arrive in Tirano. I request more information from the train company.

I assume that the bus will depart from Colico station at the entrance of the station .…

Can I manually enter my connection in the app : Milan - Tirano ? Or should I do Milan - Colico, and Colico - Tirano with that it is with a replacement bus?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

At the bus station you take the underway to the train station. On Google Maps you can see it, it stands on the underway to the train station and to the Rhaetian railway (RhB) (wich is 50 m from the FS station), but also others will go there and you will find it very easily. 

For Colico you can look on the PDF that I send on your Question Tread in this community. There is also the address of the replacement bus stop. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

If the bus in Tirano stops at the street: Via calcagno 19, then according to google maps it is 180 meters to the RhB Tirano station, I see.

I'm going to wait for the train company customer service to say where the replacement bus will stop in Tirano.

When I look at the address and street view of the bus station in Colico via the link you forwarded in this topic, for which many thanks, this does not seem to be correct.
You can barely see anything on streetview.

If you then calculate the route between Colico FS and the link of the bus station, this is 550 meters!

So I'm curious what Trenord customer service will say regarding my questions about the replacement bus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

On replacement buses no reservation possible. Only on the Bernina Express Bus Tirano-Lugano is it possible.

Works in Summer are very common, because people that go to work have free days.

Oh noooo, I don't find that reassuring news that you can't reserve seats on a replacement bus service! Because there are guaranteed to be more people traveling on the train from Milan - Tirano than there are places on the bus service.

Or will they have several buses available per trip, so that everyone can immediately join the connecting bus arriving in Colico by train?

The regionaltrains are even reservation free (and no reservation possible ) I hope that they have enough busses.
If you wanna avoid the stress you could reserve a place on the BerninaBus from Lugano to Tirano (but which surprise quite often fully booked arround the time of the Busreplacement on the route to Milan)

Badge +1

I also got frustrated trying to figure this out, installing apps from all rail companies in Italy,.. 

Another post on the forum mentions: there are works on the line this summer and the schedule is not released yet.

It's TRENORD who runs the trains in that line.

Probably no trains going to tirano Jul/Aug 22, but a bus service instead.

We can only wait for news I guess 

I also booked Bernina and need to in one day:  Bernina to st moritz, st moritz back to Tirano, then onto Milano and on to Genoa

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There is also a direct bus to Lugano run by RHB - Bernina Express. You have to reserve a seat.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I also want to go to Tirano from Milan in August, and have just checked the timetable again. Now she's full, and yes, how stupid, it's from Collico with a bus which makes the connection 40 minutes longer.

Why do they do this in the summer 😤😫

I wonder if you can still train directly to Tirano from another station?

Unless @Angelo @seewulf @rvdborgt come with a different route, I will look for a destination other than the Bernina express. Well with a lot of pain in the heart!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You could take the bus to Edolo (not included) and from there by train to Milano. I heard both are beautiful, the bus and the train line.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You could take the bus to Edolo (not included) and from there by train to Milano. I heard both are beautiful, the bus and the train line.

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, this route is even longer than what Trenitalia proposes.

I'm afraid I won't be able to do this route, it's such a shame! 😥😫

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

The plan was to travel from Milan to Tirano in 1 day, and to Chur the same day.

The next day I planned to travel from Chur to Liedekerke, which is perfectly possible.

Now I hope to be able to do another part of the Bernina express, from the Milan area. But without a bus trip.

Or part of the Glacier express.

Advice is really welcome!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Angelo 

When I look on google maps for the different stations in Tirano, I see the following.

The Tirano train station, where the Milan train normally arrives, is a yellow building.
And the Tirano train station, where the regional trains and the Bernina express leave, is the white building.

Is this correct ?