Solved

Rail Planner App and web Interrail Seat Reservation timetables don't agree!

• 15 November 2021
  • 3 replies

So I live in the UK and have bought a mobile Global Interrail pass. 

I want to travel by train from London to Braunschweig (Germany).  The first journey I need to make is from London St Pancras International to Bruxelles-Midi, which requires a seat reservation on Eurostar. 

I look up an itinerary on the Rail Planner and find train times and connections and import them into my trip.  You cannot go directly from the Rail Planner to seat reservations, so I go to the seat reservations section of this Interrail/Eurail site and put in the same dates and destinations.  The trains I have selected don’t come up.  The times are different.  So, if I reserve seats will they be valid for the trains I am actually on.  For a journey lasting 10 hours, I don’t want to risk it.

I have updated the App, so it is the current version.

One can double-check against the train numbers but there are four trains involved, including a couple for which you HAVE to have a reservation.  It is unsettling, time consuming and rather off putting.

Advice please...

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 November 2021, 19:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please don't rely on the Interrail app for timetables. It should be your last choice. It doesn't get enough updates to be reliable. It's better to use the operators' own websites or apps. For international planning, the Deutsche Bahn website or DB Navigator app is a good choice.

Many thanks for your help. Could I just check please though. I have found that the first 2 journeys that we are taking have got the same journey times on the reservation site as the planner on the app. Is it ok to reserve these now? It would make me feel better to know that we have got some journeys all completed and reserved!

Many thanks for you help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Many thanks for your help. Could I just check please though. I have found that the first 2 journeys that we are taking have got the same journey times on the reservation site as the planner on the app. Is it ok to reserve these now? It would make me feel better to know that we have got some journeys all completed and reserved!

Certainly the Eurostar should be booked in advance.

For Brussels to Germany, do use the Deutsche Bahn website to book reservations ("Seat only”). Book them one journey at a time, since you only pay 4€ per person and journey, regardless of how many trains it includes.