Reservation Barcelona to Nimes

• 16 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I need to make a reservation fo go from Barcelona to Nimes.

This is the outbound journey to get to France with my France pass.

The company of national trains in Spain say that they can't book the reservation for me. But neither can the interrail page.

Where do I make the reservation?

This is so frustraiting, I’ve spent hundreds of euros on this trip that was supposed to be cheap. Only on reservations.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As I just wrote, it looks like there are no seats left for Interrail in this train on 24 November:

If you look at later dates, you'll notice that sometimes there are seats for the 10:05 train and RENFE can also book these. If you want to travel on the 24th, then leave earlier (and book it ASAP) or travel via Portbou/Cerbère (no reservations required).

Unfortunately, RENFE have not sent all their timetables to the European Timetable Centre, so you'll have to piece together the reservation-free alternative yourself.

Bercelona - Portbou/Cerbère can be found here:

http://rodalies.gencat.cat/web/.content/02_Horaris/horaris/R11.pdf (PDF)

http://rodalies.gencat.cat/en/horaris/ (planner)

Badge

How do you know there are no seats for the 24th of november? The rail planner allows me to get it…

I get to Barcelona at 9:30h on the 24th bc I am traveling from Madrid.

Badge

I have found this other options:

10:05 Barcelona-perpignan 11:26
14:08 perpignan-narbonne-nimes-lyon 18:50

10:05 Barcelona-nimes 13:45
14:47 nimes-avignon 15:18
16:13 avignon-lyon 18:40

Can you confirm I can make it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The rail planner app will give a schedule regardless of free seats. The planner does not know if there are free seats or not.

The Interrail reservation service gives a grey exclamation mark for the train from Barcelona at 10:05. One of the possible causes is "no seats available anymore for Interrail”, which seems to be the most plausible cause here. RENFE should have told you that instead of making up an excuse "we can't sell the train to Nîmes”. You will see that this train IS available on later dates, e.g. 27 and 28 November (at least when I checked).

Alternatively, you can get a train to Portbou or Cerbère (see links above) and then continue further. The earliest arrival in Lyon then seems to be 19:50 (TGV from Montpellier or Nîmes, seats still available).

Badge

I still don’t understand how it makes sense to go to Portbou or Cerbère. That’s in Spain. I need to get to France.

Hola Ana. Yo he reservado hace poco en RENFE mi viaje para salir hasta Francia y no he tenido ningun problema. Simplemente fíjate bien en los horarios porque la app de Interrail no está actualizada. Yo he ido comprobando que esos trenes están en funcionamiento en cada web de cada país ( España: Renfe; Francia : SNCF o ouigo, Alemani: DB Bahn...) porque creo que la aplicación está algo desactualizada. A mi me pasó también . Cualquier cosa lo comentamos.

Un saludo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I still don’t understand how it makes sense to go to Portbou or Cerbère. That’s in Spain. I need to get to France.

Portbou and Cerbère are both close to the border. Please look them up on a map.

If the only TGV via the high speed line does not have any seats for Interrail anymore, then going via Portbou is the only way, unless you want to buy a normal ticket for the TGV.

Badge

Hola Ana. Yo he reservado hace poco en RENFE mi viaje para salir hasta Francia y no he tenido ningun problema. Simplemente fíjate bien en los horarios porque la app de Interrail no está actualizada. Yo he ido comprobando que esos trenes están en funcionamiento en cada web de cada país ( España: Renfe; Francia : SNCF o ouigo, Alemani: DB Bahn...) porque creo que la aplicación está algo desactualizada. A mi me pasó también . Cualquier cosa lo comentamos.

Un saludo.

Hola te escribo por privado

ok :)