Reservation Eurocity Italy-Switzerland

• 28 June 2021
  • 7 replies

Since 1-2 years it’s no longer possible to make online seat reservations for the Eurocity train connecting Milano Centrale (Italy) and Basel SBB (Switzerland).

I called both the Italian and Swiss operator to ask if it is possible to make a reservation on the phone. This was not possible. They also told me that it is not possible to make a seat reservation at the station.

Based on what they told me, the Global Pass turns out to be useless for the EC trains. Only option is taking multiple (often delayed) regional trains.

Does anyone have the same experience?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I called both the Italian and Swiss operator to ask if it is possible to make a reservation on the phone. This was not possible. They also told me that it is not possible to make a seat reservation at the station.

So where do they say you can make a reservation then, if not online, via the telephone or at the station?

Belgian railways still say they can make Interrail reservations for these trains (probably at the station and via telephone):

https://public-pf.b-europe.com/nl/Producten/Details?id=c5191f67-aa3c-48d7-bc74-abbb354d253e

The same is true for Deutsche bahn (see page 37):

https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/agb/weitere_internationale_verkehre/mdb_328002_20210401_angebotsinformation_vertrieb_int_befrderer_pbv.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As @rvdborgt  said they can still be done at the stations did it several times at a SBB, Trenitalia and or even German Rail ticket office the problem is that the route is very popular and sometimes sold out.

There is a easy way from Milan to Basel by catching a regionaltrain to Chiasso/Bellinzona and change there for a connecting train to Basel same works by going via Dommodossla/Brig here usually 2 changes.

Thanks guys. I do know there are other options. Problem is they usually take longer and in my experience never run on time. That’s why I prefer a single train.

Both SBB and Trenitalia told me it is not possible to make a reservation at the station either. It had to do with being an international train.. in my opinion this doesn’t make sense. But if this is true, it is no longer possible to use a Global Pass on the Eurocity between Italy - Switzerland. You’ll have to take regional trains then :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks guys. I do know there are other options. Problem is they usually take longer and in my experience never run on time. That’s why I prefer a single train.

Both SBB and Trenitalia told me it is not possible to make a reservation at the station either. It had to do with being an international train.. in my opinion this doesn’t make sense. But if this is true, it is no longer possible to use a Global Pass on the Eurocity between Italy - Switzerland. You’ll have to take regional trains then 

Its still possible to reserve at the station the problem is that the Staff is not well informed about the Railpasses. Atleast it was possible back in April on both ticket offices :) I wrote a Message to both and both answered its possible at the station with TC40 or 44 possible. And even if your regional train from Milan is late within Swtizerland you have every 30mins a connection :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Its still possible to reserve at the station the problem is that the Staff is not well informed about the Railpasses. Atleast it was possible back in April on both ticket offices :) I wrote a Message to both and both answered its possible at the station with TC40 or 44 possible. And even if your regional train from Milan is late within Swtizerland you have every 30mins a connection :) 

Yes, sounds like a typical case of PEBCAK. I haven't heard of any problems booking these reservations in Italy or Switzerland. Are there limited quota Interrail reservations (in Italy, this is not the case AFAIK for domestic trains)? Or are these trains sometimes just completely full?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, sounds like a typical case of PEBCAK. I haven't heard of any problems booking these reservations in Italy or Switzerland. Are there limited quota Interrail reservations (in Italy, this is not the case AFAIK for domestic trains)? Or are these trains sometimes just completely full?

The trains are just full for example if you go by train from Italy to Germany you dont need a test if you fly by plane a test is needed :D because of that the EC Milan- Switzerland and Verona - Innsbruck- Munich are actual very popular. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The trains are just full for example if you go by train from Italy to Germany you dont need a test if you fly by plane a test is needed :D because of that the EC Milan- Switzerland and Verona - Innsbruck- Munich are actual very popular. 

Thanks, that's useful info.