Solved

Reservation for 1st class with 2nd class eurail pass - TVG Barceloma to Montpellier

• 28 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Someone please help! We went to the train station in Barcelona to reserve our train to Montpellier for next week.

Unfortunately they said that 2nd class was sold out for the time we wanted and only had 1st available. They said it would be 22 Euros per person so we said OK. 

We are now second guessing ourselves are not sure what we’ve just purchased will be accepted. Does anyone know if this sound about right??? They saw our passes so surely they would say something if this was not allowed??

We have 2nd class passes and are going to be catching the French TVG Train. I’ve heard that they allow you to upgrade but just don’t want to get kicked off or anything. 😬

icon

Best answer by cdwatkins19 28 July 2022, 23:42

View original

5 replies

Badge +5

You’ll need to send a screenshot of the ticket you were issued with for us to help you.

You’ll need to send a screenshot of the ticket you were issued with for us to help you.

@cdwatkins19  

Badge +5

I am unable to explain what the ticket agent has done! The supplement on this train for pass holders is 36 euros in 2nd and 50 euros in 1st. You have been issued with seats in 1st and only have a 2nd class passes. If you can, go back to the station to have it checked.

It looks like they charged you the difference between 1st and 2nd class but NOT the supplement so be ready for a 100 euro excess fare!

Personally I would travel by the local train to Port Bou and the connecting TER train which though much slower allows you to enjoy the scenery which is very spectacular. The TGV at 300km/h has a long tunnel that misses the most scenic bit. There are no supplements or seat reservations on the local trains.

Thank you! Will go back tomorrow to see what can be done. Really appreciate your help @cdwatkins19 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am unable to explain what the ticket agent has done! The supplement on this train for pass holders is 36 euros in 2nd and 50 euros in 1st. You have been issued with seats in 1st and only have a 2nd class passes.

Those prices are reservations Barcelona - Paris with the Interrail booking fee added. Barcelona - Montpellier is cheaper.

If you can, go back to the station to have it checked.

It looks like they charged you the difference between 1st and 2nd class

No, the reservation shown is a normal 1st class reservation Barcelona - Montpellier, which is indeed €21. 2nd class would have been €15. Still incorrect of course.