Solved

Reservation for train Varna > Istanbul (Halkali)

• 30 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I would like to go from Bucharest to Istanbul.

Since the Bosphorus Express night train is no longer serving the route (AFAIK) I decided sleep in Varna and from there continuing on route Varna Sp. > Kamobat / Kamobat > Plovdiv / Plovdiv > Kapikule.

For Kapikule > Halkali there is request for reservartion and I struggle to acquire it online.

Because in the Rail Planner app I see the info about it: At the ticket office (subject to availability).

That scares me cos I don’t like end up in vacum without any move. Cos how can I know that it wont be full already.

As I google it; found out the https://ebilet.tcddtasimacilik.gov.tr but that page returning me:

“No travel solution found, try again by changing departure and arrival stations/dates”

Whatever date I try it’s still the same message.

razpisanie.bdz.bg don’t know the connection.

As for bileteinternationale.cfrcalatori.ro/ it knows the station (Bucharest > Halkali) but info is “Not available online”

Basically I don’t need sleeper, just seat and be sure that it’s reseved (since it’s mandatory for connection.)

How to archive this in advance so I can book a hotel and all the stuff needed.

Does anyone manage it?

I mean not in person on station cos that cannot be done in advance with me (I’m in different part of EU for that moment / cant send anyone).

Thx for any info.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 30 April 2023, 08:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Bosphorus express is in fact 1 through couchette carriage in summer (it starts again on 4 June according to Seat61). Outside summer, you can still make the journey via the same route but you have to change a few times, see timetable here:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/sofia-bucuresti-sofia

The last part of the journey is on the night train coming from Sofia to Halkali. That's a through train (no change at Kapikule) with couchettes and sleepers only, for which you need a reservation.

Reservations are not available online. You can book at an international ticket office in Bulgaria, see the list here:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/stations#tid-11206

Varna is also in that list. If you intend to go back by train, then you can also already book that in Bulgaria.

The summer couchette Bucharest-Halkali can be booked via Deutsche Bahn, at a ticket office or by phone.

Badge

Thx for info!

Pity that one must go for the reservation face to face; managed it at Varna station - if remember correctly 10€ for me.

Hope this will be in app (the RP app is awesome thb so far) someday.

Badge

And for connection Halkali - Sofia > done that inside Sırkecı station (Eminönü - European side of Instanbul) international ticket counter.

They charge me same price for Plovdiv > Halkali / Halkali > Sofia = 10€ per ticket.

Kinda weird cos it’s a difference in distance between Plovdiv vs Sofia.

Also border control make it a bit unpleasant experience, in my case it totalled in at least 3 times waking up me from couch.

There is a shop openend on Turkiye side so one can buy smthnk at least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What’s weird about that? Almost all seat reservations cost the same independent from distance (except Eurostar and other special cases) 

Badge

What’s weird about that? Almost all seat reservations cost the same independent from distance (except Eurostar and other special cases) 

Ahh, didn’t know that the price of reservation is independent from the distance travelled.

In that case it make sence.