Solved

Reservation needed or not on German trip (Nightjet or IC)

Hello Interrail community,

I am a bit confused on how to manage reservations for a Nantes-Copenhagen trip on the 08-09 July.
The trip relies on a Offenburg (00:41) - Duisburg (06:40) section that is referenced as both a nightjet (NJ) or intercity train (IC).
From https://tickets.oebb.at/, it seems the NJ is not available for 4 persons anymore :

If I search for the whole trip on the planner (Nantes>Copenhagen), it indicates the Offenburg-Duisburg section requires reservation. (I think it considers the NJ reference, that is considered a night train that requires reservation)

If I only search for the Offenburg-Duisburg section, the planner indicates no reservation is needed (it seem it considers the IC reference, that does not require a reservation)

My question is then rather simple : is a reservation needed on the Offenburg-Duisburg night IC train ?
If I choose not to book a reservation, do I have to enter manually the Offenburg-Duisburg section on my mobile Pass ? (as for now it only shows this section with a “Seat reservations required” indication)

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

icon

Best answer by seewulf 27 May 2022, 13:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No need to fill that much of space-its all known. This is a COMBO train= the beds and some compartmt seats are as NJ=MUST reserve, the other seats in a few other cars are run as IC and REServ is optional. Strangely it is not possible (as otherwise without a hiccup) via bahn.de/ seat only, but you have to use the more cumbersome way via OeBB (seat in IC-part is then 3€-if you are determined to need to have it). You need a new travelday for the rest of trip to Danmark.

Instead of DUI I would strongly advice you-unknowing Francais, to leave this train at DUsseldorf (15 mins before) as DUI is about the worst of the worst big stations in DE-the next train follows all same route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Romain Guilbaud 

You may catch from Offenburg a direct IC/NJ to Hamburg instead of the detour to Düsseldorf/Duisburg.

On the combined trains you have to decide if you wanna travel in a seating carriage (can be reserved via bahn.de for 8€ for up to 5 travelers but is not compulsory but highly recommened)
or if you wanna have a nice sleep and get a berth in couchette or sleeper carriage
These are reservation compulsory and can be reserved via oebb.at (dont use the seat only option when reserving beds on Nighttrains and follow this manual)