Solved

Reservations sent by physical mail, not email

• 23 June 2022
  • 5 replies

I purchased 4 reservations for 2 people for 2 legs of a journey from Lourdes, France to Barcelona, Spain 2 weeks ago.  I received an email from eurail confirming the purchase.  Attached to this email I received 2 reservations, that I printed, for 1 leg of the journey (from Toulouse to Narbonne).  For some reason they are MAILING the 2 other reservations (from Narbonne to Barcelona)and charging me for the postage, instead of just emailing them.  Eurail sent me an email on June 10th stating that the reservations are on the way and should be at my mailbox by 07-16-22, IN 5 WEEKS!  I'm not sure why in would take 5 weeks to get here, but the trouble is, WE'LL BE IN EUROPE BY THEN.  Is there another way of getting these reservations? Maybe at a train station? I emailed eurail this question 2 weeks ago and have received no reply to date. Thanks.

Mark & Dana Carter

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 June 2022, 00:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When you ordered the reservation Narbonne - Barcelona, there would have been a notice that this reservation was going to be on paper and sent via the post. If you're gone before it is delivered, then it's lost. Or the best that could happen is that it is returned to sender (since nobody is there to receive it), then cancelled and refunded (if the conditions for this reservation allow a refund).

The best way to book this reservation is by calling SNCF: press #85 for English, no booking fee, reservation is sent via e-mail.

Thank you for this information.  I did see that it was going to be sent via regular mail when I booked it, but I did not know I had any options, like the one you mentioned.  I didn't find out until a week after we booked the reservations, when Eurail emailed us, that it was going to take up to 5 weeks to get here.  Thanks again for your help.

Mark & Dana Carter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Tlse-Narb has local=free TER trains ev hour or so-without any fuss.

You can even reach Bcn via local trains (explained here a few zilllion tmes now) via the old route before these hi-speed things came: onward to Port BOu=1st stop in ESpana, change to braod gauge RENFE rodalies trenes to Bcn-can even switch go along the beach/coast.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for this information.  I did see that it was going to be sent via regular mail when I booked it, but I did not know I had any options, like the one you mentioned.  I didn't find out until a week after we booked the reservations, when Eurail emailed us, that it was going to take up to 5 weeks to get here.

On second thought: they normally don't let you order if the delivery time is deemed to be too short. If they extend the delivery time after you've ordered, then that shouldn't be your problem. That means you should be entitled to a full refund if it doesn't arrive on time.

Thank you.  I'm happy to hear that there are options out there should I be unable to receive my reservation on time.