Solved

Reserving sleeper cars: Is there anyway to ensure that we are booked in a sleeper car on these overnight trains, and not just in regular seats?

• 24 March 2022
  • 4 replies

I have purchased global rail passes for myself and my family for a Europe trip In July/august. I have run into a question about reservations. There are several nights that we would like to use the sleeper trains. I can see that we can reserve these through yours website service. I also know from making my other reservation that seats will be selected for me, but Is there anyway to ensure that we are booked in a sleeper car on these overnight trains, and not just in regular seats. It appears that both seating types are available on this train.

icon

Best answer by mcadv 24 March 2022, 07:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There may even be more types of accomodation. Usually on about all planners I know or have used-these vary a lot, you simply have to choose between the type wanted, and the price will also differ considerably. It goes without telling that a sleeper (there are also couchette, a budget type lie down bench-read seat61 for all the info) will cost substantially more-often more as a night in a budget hotelroom.

Not all the various sleepertrains can be reserved via the app/eurail site. The best known and mostly used NIghtJet trains, to/fro Austria via Germany, have their own site. MOst sleeper trains run INland in Scandinavia and Italy and Poland. IN DE=Germany the ICE-night are normal daytimetrains with seats only. It varies how long advance one can reserve-and even if it says like 3-4 month advance, it may still be the case that due to works or whatever the final timings are only released much later and same the bookings.

Also note that due to covid-restrictions in some cases there are more limitations on sharing a compartment.

Thank you for the info. Using the eurail app

It does not give me any choices for seat types except 1st and 2nd class. There is No option for sleeper cars. Do you know, am I able to reserve tickets through other sights using the eurail global pass I have already paid for? I understand that there will be an additional reservation fee. The trains I am hoping to use say that they do require a reservation and since we will Only be staying in each city for a few days, so I am worried that we won’t get there early enough to reserve seats in person.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can also make reservations elsewhere; you don't have to use Eurail for reservations. Where you can do that depends on the train. If you have specific trains in mind, please post details (origin, destination, date, departure time) and then people can give alternative ways of booking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you for the info. Using the eurail app

It does not give me any choices for seat types except 1st and 2nd class. There is No option for sleeper cars. Do you know, am I able to reserve tickets through other sights using the eurail global pass I have already paid for? I understand that there will be an additional reservation fee. The trains I am hoping to use say that they do require a reservation and since we will Only be staying in each city for a few days, so I am worried that we won’t get there early enough to reserve seats in person.

to answer these questions we need to know which Routes/Trains you intend to use as there are several pages :) (Each European Railcompany have a own website ;) That way we can provide the correct website for your trains.

Otherwise have a look on

In Germany they use for most Nighttrains the same trains as on daytime means just seats and no Couchette or Sleeper carriage :/