Solved

Santa Clause Express

Hey :)

i am planning my first interrail trip and our route is now trough Denmark to Stockholm, from Stockholm overnight with the Tallink ferry to Turku and from there staight to Helsinki.

In Helsinki we want to take the Santa Clause Express Nighttrain to Rovaniemi but i am encountering a few problems while looking for reservations on this train. I have already seen this site which says that the train is included in interrail and lists prices. We want to book a cabin for two people with an own shower which should cost 49€ p.p. according to the interrail site. On the vr website i could’nt find an option to look up the prices with an interrail pass so i went to a train station. Here they said, that they also cant look up the prices for late august, which i assume is due to the fact, that you can only book 60 days in advance. Is that correct or is it possible, that the cabins are already gone?

And when the lady looked up an earlier date, to see the possible prices, they were 120€ for that cabin. Is that due to the 20% that are added during main seasons? (So 2*49€*1.2)

Because when i looked up the prices on the vr website at home again, then they listed a cabin for 120€ but that was without a private bathroom. Is it possible that the person looked up the wrong cabin or got the normal prices?

And on the reservation tool on the interrail website i could’nt find an option to book cabins. 

So are the cabin prices on the nighttrain from Helsinki to Rovaniemi reduced for interrail and if yes, can i only book them 60 days in advance at a train sattion or via telephone?

Thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 7 June 2022, 18:26

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't book reservations only on the VR website, so you would only see normal fares there. Interrail still can't book this either (and would add 2€ booking fee per person and train). In fact, the only places I know who can book this are VR via phone (see this page) or DB (ticket office or by phone).

It's possible that the web page on the Interrail site is out of date or indeed that the price difference is due to a high season charge.

Thank you very much for the fast reply!

So the cabins are cheaper with the interrail pass but i cant look up the prices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So the cabins are cheaper with the interrail pass but i cant look up the prices?

You'd expect them to be cheaper than then normal fares indeed. But there are operators that have advance fares that can be lower than the pass reservation prices (Trenitalia, Scotrail). I don't know about VR.

Ok thank you!

Then i will go to a DB Ticket office when it’s only 60 days left and check if the prices are ok