Solved

Seat Reservation Lyon-Barcelona

• 7 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I have a question about seat reservations in France. I want to travel from Lyon Part Dieu to Barcelona Sants on the 30th august. (RSC 9734). I can book the reservation via Interrail, but since it is a Paper ticket, it will be delivered on the 29th august to Austria (where I live), so this is the day when I plan to start the journey. 

Is there a way to buy the seat reservation now and pick up the ticket at the railway station in Lyon? Or do you have a recommendation? 

I only have one hour waiting time in Lyon, is it possible to buy the ticket there? Or are chances high that the time is not sufficient to buy the seat reservations locally or even worse, that tickets are not availabe any more?

If anyone could help me, this would be really great, I am really frustrated :D!

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Nanja 9 August 2021, 12:59

View original

6 replies

I have the same problem!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, if you are not able to have your seat reservation via mail due to the delivery time, the only other option is to purchase your seat reservation locally at the train station, as mentioned here as well.  You will be able to purchase your ticket within that time frame. There are limited seats available for Eurail and Interrail travellers, so if it is sold out, you'll need to purchase a full fare ticket or take alternative trains that do not require reservations. 

@Nanja,

I want to book a ticket from Lyon to Girona on the 6th of June. I thought I could make the reservation but when I wanted to checkout it said there is not enough time left to send the ticket although I still have nine days. They suggested to give another European address, but I live in Belgium so I don’t think that is too far away. Do you have an idea what could be the reason for this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Nanja,

I want to book a ticket from Lyon to Girona on the 6th of June. I thought I could make the reservation but when I wanted to checkout it said there is not enough time left to send the ticket although I still have nine days. They suggested to give another European address, but I live in Belgium so I don’t think that is too far away. Do you have an idea what could be the reason for this?

@Tine Proot

You should be able to book at the Belgian Railway or by phone at SNCF.

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail.

@Nanja 

Thank you for your answer.

I booked the train through SNCF. 

With NMBS they told me it wasn’t possible to make a reservation by phone anymore if you want to cross the border between France and Spain. It had changed. But I suggest to follow travelers that they give it a try. Maybe it changes again :).

Anyway, with SNCF it was quite easy. I didn’t have a visa or mastercard, so I had to get the train ticket in the station, but the man on the phone made the reservation and gave me a code. I went to Lille to pick up the ticket and asked a man to help me with the ticket machine. It was quite simple. In 5 minutes I had my ticket. Once you now how it works, it should be possible to make a phone call in advance, reserve a ticket and then go to the station and pick it up with the code at a machine. But I think it is not possible in the small stations. Not all the stations have this machine.

Even easier is to purchase a mastercard or visa and just make the reservations by phone. That is what I will do next time. You need a code, the expiring date and then you get an e-mail and you need to confirm the order. 

Hope this is helpfull

Tine

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unfortunately, Belgian railways recently stopped selling tickets and reservations for trains to Spain and within Spain because apparently they could not (yet) issue them as electronic tickets. Same with Dutch railways. A solution should be coming later this year but since RENFE is involved, don't hold your breath.