Solved

Seat reservations in France

Hi. We’re a family of four trying to book (2nd class) seat reservations for April. We’ve managed to get reservations via the eurail website for our Amsterdam to Bruges journey but the journey down to Lyon and then back up Paris is drawing blanks on all trains on all days. Surely not all of the pass holder allocations have booked already? 

Any advice or help very much appreciated as I am losing the plot trying to figure out how or where to get these reservations booked.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 January 2023, 14:34

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You're too early. French trains in April are largely not open to book yet.

By the way, there are hourly reservation-free intercity train connections from Amsterdam to Bruges.

Thank you. I was hoping that was the case. Do you know approx when they release them so 8 can set myself a reminder?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you know approx when they release them so 8 can set myself a reminder?

I don't really know. They should open 4 months in advance but that's clearly not the case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I don't really know. They should open 4 months in advance but that's clearly not the case.

SNCF has announced ticket sales for spring (27 March 2023 to 31 May 2023) will open on 25 January 2023. I expect passholder reservations to come available then too (in any case via SNCF's own channels). 

Dear all,

I’m in the same situation as @robinuk75 

I want to book trains from France to Germany in April.

Reservations in France are open now  for the period, but all the trains I want to book (from Angers to Paris, and from Paris to Germany go and back) are listed as “not available for your pass”

Is there an explanation to this?

Thank you by advance for your answers

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I want to book trains from France to Germany in April.

Reservations in France are open now  for the period, but all the trains I want to book (from Angers to Paris, and from Paris to Germany go and back) are listed as “not available for your pass”

Is there an explanation to this?

What pass do you have? You need a global pass to be able to book these trains.

In addition, the reservation Angers to Paris should be free of charge if you live in France and book via SNCF. But also if you have to pay it's cheaper to book directly via SNCF at the station.

In addition, the reservation Angers to Paris should be free of charge if you live in France and book via SNCF. But also if you have to pay it's cheaper to book directly via SNCF at the station.

I have German Rail pass.

These were recommended by the search tool on the web site.

If I understand well, these pass are not the good ones for my trip?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have German Rail pass.

These were recommended by the search tool on the web site.

If I understand well, these pass are not the good ones for my trip?

German Rail Pass is not valid in France and you need from the border a Ticket for the train. Best for you is a Global Pass. The price difference between the passes should be not so big.

German Rail Pass is not valid in France and you need from the border a Ticket for the train. Best for you is a Global Pass. The price difference between the passes should be not so big.

OK thank you for the info.

So, if I understand well I need to change my passes from German to global.

Is it possible to do so or do I need to cancel the German passes first and then buy the global passes?

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Check whether your pass is exchangable in the e-mail you got. If it is, you should be able to exchage it indeed, with a €15 exchange fee. See the steps here, under “Mobile Pass exchanges” (or “paper pass exchanges” if you have one): https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/ordering-info/refund-exchange-policy

Check however if it isn’t cheaper to book a ticket to Germany first: A discounted return might be cheaper than the price difference between the German rail pass and the + €15 fee + possible reservation costs.

The German Rail Pass does include some international trains, but none to France: See https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/german-rail-pass

Routes from Germany to Austria

The German Rail Pass is valid on trains from Germany to the Austrian border:

• Munich to Salzburg / Kufstein / Innsbruck

Routes from Germany to Belgium
The German Rail Pass is valid on the following direct routes:
  • Cologne (Köln Hbf) - Brussels (Bruxelles-Midi)
  • Cologne (Köln Hbf) - Liège (Liège-Guillemins)

Routes from Germany to Italy
The German Rail Pass is valid to and from the following Italian cities with DB-ÖBB EuroCity trains:
  • Bolzano/Bozen
  • Trento
  • Verona
  • Bologna
  • Venice

Routes from Germany to Switzerland
The German Rail Pass is valid to and from the following station:
  • Basel Bad Bf