Solved

Setting up train transfer times for outbound trip.

• 21 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to travel from Kassel, Germany to Velje in Denmark soon and it will be my outbound trip from Germany.

When I look up the trip via the Interrail app, it shows me a route with a 23 min train-transfer time in Hamburg. As I’ve had quite a bit of delay traveling with the Deutsche Bahn lately, I would like to take an earlier train to Hamburg. However, I cannot seem to be able to set up the desired transfer time in the interrail app so I’m wondering whether I could just book the two connections separately; that is, Kassel-Hamburg and then Hamburg Velje.

While I suppose this should be possible, will both trains still be included as part of my outbound trip from Germany?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 21 August 2022, 15:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Don’t use the app for planning, it just isn’t reliably accurate enough. Use local operators websites and the better national operators who have most of Europe covered such as https://www.bahn.com/en

It is always possible to break down a journey into smaller legs to plan and travel, when you use planners they will always give shortest possible journey times by stitching together services with the shortest connections they are programmed to offer. You don’t have to follow these itineraries, you can look for services individually or on some planners specify longer connection times.

Outbound/inbound can be any combination of trains you like just as with any other travel day.

Badge +5

In the DB app you can specify the transfer time and you only pay one reservation fee! Don’t use the RailPlanner app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And you don't need a reservation for that journey as both German and Danish trains are reservation free (not night trains).

Thanks all of you for your insights! :)

Don’t use the app for planning, it just isn’t reliably accurate enough. Use local operators websites and the better national operators who have most of Europe covered such as https://www.bahn.com/en

It is always possible to break down a journey into smaller legs to plan and travel, when you use planners they will always give shortest possible journey times by stitching together services with the shortest connections they are programmed to offer. You don’t have to follow these itineraries, you can look for services individually or on some planners specify longer connection times.

Outbound/inbound can be any combination of trains you like just as with any other travel day.

Good to know!

In the DB app you can specify the transfer time and you only pay one reservation fee! Don’t use the RailPlanner app.

Oh, this is a good one. Unfortunately I already made a reservation for one of the trains. But for the trip back I’ll make sure to do it this way!

And you don't need a reservation for that journey as both German and Danish trains are reservation free (not night trains).

True, but since I’m travelling with my 10 year old daughter I prefer to make the reservation ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Being in DE since a few days and yesterday they were able to top it all: on 3 rides in ICE (yes, those sleek white DB long-distance) there were delays of +2, +2, and +1 hr. On the first also caused for >1 hr as staff for the leg was very late as they worked a train to that stop which was so much delayed.

There has been damage just south of Hamburg to a bridge (by a overly high lorry) and this means this entry is very critical, plus that currently (also due to the 9€ supercheap ticket) Hamb HBF is so overcrowded that even getting from 1 to next platform can take > 10 mins.