Solved

sleeper italy

• 17 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Struggling to book a 2 bed sleeper on Milan to Palermo train on 19th Feb.I have interrail pass along with my wife but cannot seem to reserve 2 bed sleeper at local Italian station only a couchette for 4 people which we don't want.Can see that 2 bed sleeper are available on 19th when I make ticket enquiry but cannot get these ticket reservation at station .Can you advise me if I can book 2 bed berth via you and if so how or how to resolve this at the Italian station.Thank you in anticipation,Frank Teague

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 18 September 2022, 01:03

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Booking for February is not possible yet. Maybe in a month's time.

Apologies,mistyped meant September 19th 2022

Struggling to book a 2 bed sleeper on Milan to Palermo train on 19th September 2022.I have interrail pass along with my wife but cannot seem to reserve 2 bed sleeper at local Italian station only a couchette for 4 people which we don't want.Can see that 2 bed sleeper are available on 19th when I make ticket enquiry but cannot get these ticket reservation at station .Can you advise me if I can book 2 bed berth via you and if so how or how to resolve this at the Italian station.Thank you in anticipation,Frank Teague

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is a bit confusing but you can certainly get to Messina Central by 1245 on the 2010 from Milan

booking through

https://partners.italiarail.com/results?force_pass=true&aff=EURAIL

Cost is showing as 56 euro each for a double cabin.

But it wants a full price again for the onward journey to Palermo, which is probably the same train, just a different number. It leaves at 1320. I suspect this is why they could not book it as a direct service.

Either way it suspect it will need 2 travel days because of the train number change. Are you tight on travel days?

I would be tempted to book to Messina and then swap to a regional train at 1437, It takes about 3 hours from Messina to Palermo. It will give you a breath of fresh air. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I was looking at the train-ferry route earlier in the week and had similar results, bookings available through to Siracuse but not Palermo, no idea why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Milan 20:10 to Palermo 16:55 is a direct train, so only one travel day is needed; train number changes are not relevant. I see Italiarail tries to charge for the sleeper twice but that is incorrect.

There is still space in the double sleeper though and any Italian ticket office should be able to book this. I'd say try again. There are still 2 sleeper compartments free (according to trenitalia.com) so don't wait too long because you want to book one of them.

I did eventually find a station that after much discussion and getting a supervisor to confirm it was possible sell me the interrail upgrade to a 2 bed sleeper.The problem appears to be that ticket office think possibly in correctly that a 2 bed cabin is 1st class and therefore can only sell you a 2 bed in a 4 berth couchette as that is 2nd class.

However thank you for the work around rvdborgt,that is most helpful for booking online