Solved

Sleeper price in 1rst and 2nd class

• 14 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi there!

Just have a question before a buy the global pass.

We are a couple and we don’t know if I want to buy first or second class global pass. That depends on the price I have to pay to reserve a private bed for night trains.

For example, if I have a first class global pass, is cheaper to reserve a private single sleeper in night trains or is the same price if I have second class global pass? For example, this 146€ private single sleep price is the same or different for 1rst or 2nd class holders? Or maybe 2nd class could not be able to reserve private single sleeper?

Thank you very much in advance!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 14 July 2022, 23:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There is no difference with Nightjet or most other sleepers in Europe, they have pretty much abolished class distinction on sleeper trains now.

The cost per person is much less when sharing and there is a good discount on Nightjet sleepers for Interrail passes, the standard fare would be over €100 more.

There are still some night time regular trains with both 1st and 2nd class seated accommodation and obviously day trains, as well as lounge access in some countries for 1st class passholders. Base your choice of class on these.

So, if I buy the global pass only for night trains, there is no reason to buy the 1rst class then?

Thank you Al_G!

There is no difference with Nightjet or most other sleepers in Europe, they have pretty much abolished class distinction on sleeper trains now.

The cost per person is much less when sharing and there is a good discount on Nightjet sleepers for Interrail passes, the standard fare would be over €100 more.

There are still some night time regular trains with both 1st and 2nd class seated accommodation and obviously day trains, as well as lounge access in some countries for 1st class passholders. Base your choice of class on these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So, if I buy the global pass only for night trains, there is no reason to buy the 1rst class then?

No, but if that is all you are buying the pass for it may well be cheaper just buying the regular fares and not bothering with the pass at all.

Nightjet give a reasonable discount but for example Italian sleepers can be nearly cheaper bought directly from Trenitalia well in advance and sleepers in some other countries only give discounts on shared couchettes and not premium sleepers.

No, but if that is all you are buying the pass for it may well be cheaper just buying the regular fares and not bothering with the pass at all.

Nightjet give a reasonable discount but for example Italian sleepers can be nearly cheaper bought directly from Trenitalia well in advance and sleepers in some other countries only give discounts on shared couchettes and not premium sleepers.

THANK YOU!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It depends per country-the tradition is that 1st cl is NEEDed as ticket for the more expensive sleeper types-mostly with 2 or 1 bed in room. Or pay difference in normal ticket price from 2nd to 1st=mostly 50%. Only the new style revamped NightJet=trains to Austria/Swiss are more relaxed.

Plus that in fact other nighttrains are quite rare nowadays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Sweden you can't travel in 1st class sleeper with Interrail/Eurail even if you have a 1st class pass.