Solved

Sweden, SJ night train: 1st class sleeper with 2nd class pass?

• 10 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Two people with 2nd class Interrail global passes want to travel on a SJ night train.

Among the sleeper options shown on the SJ website, some are referred to as 2nd class and some others as 1st class (e.g. a private sleeper compartment for two people).

After inserting both passes’ codes, any option seems to be bookable, both 2nd and 1st class.

Replies given in a previous topic stated that even 2nd class pass holders were entitled to book a private compartment, but it was shown as 2nd class in that case.

I just want to make sure that 2nd class pass holders are entitled to book a private compartment on SJ night trains when it is classified as 1st class.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 10 August 2022, 07:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would not think so. You must have a 1st class pass to travel in 1st class.

In some countries you can purchase an upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class but I have never heard of that possibility here in Sweden.

The sj booking system doesn't know if you have a 2nd or 1st class pass so that's why you can make both 1st and 2nd class reservations. 

Badge

I think not. It work only like NightJet, where ÖBB considers all comforts like 2. Class. Absolutely not fair for the Interrail 1. th class-owners, thay are paying double for the same prestations (€ 20 extra for using De-Luxe and extra because a 1. class pass is more-expensive than a 2. class pass).

It would be fairer, if the 1 class pass-owners should pay not extra for De-Luxe, (or if De-Luxe is fully-booked they should be set free of paying the € 13.70-19,90-fee which ÖBB ask extra for using the NightJet).

The same with some seat-reservations:

DB asks more for a 1. class seat, Thalys, Eurostar and SJ do it so and for travelling on international- connections like Innsbruck-Italy, Zürich-Italy and TGV France-Germany/Switzerland compulsory seat-reservations are for the 1. class more-expensive than in 2. class. Why do they have pay double? They have already paid more for the pass, haven’t they?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think not. It work only like NightJet, where ÖBB considers all comforts like 2. Class. Absolutely not fair for the Interrail 1. th class-owners, thay are paying double for the same prestations (€ 20 extra for using De-Luxe and extra because a 1. class pass is more-expensive than a 2. class pass).

It would be fairer, if the 1 class pass-owners should pay not extra for De-Luxe, (or if De-Luxe is fully-booked they should be set free of paying the € 13.70-19,90-fee which ÖBB ask extra for using the NightJet).

The same with some seat-reservations:

DB asks more for a 1. class seat, Thalys, Eurostar and SJ do it so and for travelling on international- connections like Innsbruck-Italy, Zürich-Italy and TGV France-Germany/Switzerland compulsory seat-reservations are for the 1. class more-expensive than in 2. class. Why do they have pay double? They have already paid more for the pass, haven’t they?!

Much as we all object to these inconsistencies and at times expensive fees, we do know this if we do our research, including joining the community. So in the old world we would simply say Caveat Empor or buyer beware.

Maybe one day some of these niggles will be addressed, but until then I don’t doubt we will continue to highlight them to the Newbies so they are at least aware of the rules and fees.